Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-06 16:23:10

cmcanulty

Horizontal Mouse Scrolling?

I can find no way to enable horizontal mouse scrolling in xubuntu 16.04. I hate it when I have to drag the little arrow thing around in some apps for example scid chess program and want mouse to scroll properly whether the list is vertical or horizontal. I have dconf-editor but can't find it there or in settings manager. Is there a tweak or script for this? Thank you

#2 2018-05-06 20:32:20

MountainDewManiac

Re: Horizontal Mouse Scrolling?

I have a "Mouse and Touchpad" app listed in my Whisker (Whisper?) menu. That's where I set such options. Have a look to see if you have such an application. I think that might be one of those moronic "generic names," though. So good luck with that, lol. If you cannot find something like that already installed, try searching Synaptic Package Manager for "mouse." There are probably only a few thousand things that'll appear in the results list roll .

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2018-05-07 10:49:22

cmcanulty

Yes I can find the mouse settings easily but no option for horizontal scrolling,thanks

#4 2018-05-07 19:59:42

alcornoqui

That would be the last checkbox in the touchpad tab in xfce4-mouse-settings:

iwtTpgjl.png
^^^
[in spanish, "Activar desplazamiento horizontal"]

I'm using version 4.12.0 in Xubuntu 16.04.4:

$ xfce4-mouse-settings -v
$ xfce4-mouse-settings 4.12.0 (Xfce 4.12)

#5 2018-05-07 20:42:17

MountainDewManiac

Yeah, that's what I thought when I posted, earlier. IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#6 2018-05-07 21:41:34

cmcanulty

except I was asking about a mouse not a touchpad and my mouse settings doesn't have that option, that was the first place I looked

#7 2018-05-07 21:58:05

alcornoqui

Ah, sorry, I misread...

What about this? https://askubuntu.com/questions/465208/ … g-in-unity

If you are under Ubuntu, you have to install two packages: xbindkeys and xautomation.

To enable the horizontal scroll with key combination Shift+MouseWheel, run these commands on Terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xautomation
$ echo "; bind shift + vertical scroll to horizontal scroll events
>  (xbindkey '(shift \"b:4\") \"xte 'mouseclick 6'\")
>  (xbindkey '(shift \"b:5\") \"xte 'mouseclick 7'\")" >> .xbindkeysrc.scm

$ xbindkeys

#8 2018-05-07 23:32:10

MountainDewManiac

cmcanulty wrote:

except I was asking about a mouse not a touchpad

Apologies. I assumed (silly MDM) that it would be the same mechanism. I was under the impression that a mousepad merely emulates a mouse and that, therefore, it would be emulating what you're trying to accomplish with an actual mouse.

I did learn recently that it's simple to scroll horizontally in a web browser - just hold down the Shift key and perform the standard vertical scrolling action (with a mouse, roll the wheel). Unfortunately - I just checked - this trick does not work in Gedit, so it is probably limited to web browsers. Which is a shame for me, because my mouse pad's horizontal scrolling area is not all the way on the bottom for some reason, so it is annoying and somewhat tricky to use.

I used to have a Microsoft mouse (hated their OS, but loved that mouse, lol) that had seven (IIRC - the usual left, right, click-on-the-wheel plus one on each side and tilt the wheel right and left for two more) buttons. Two of those allowed me to do horizontal scrolling. But with a regular three-button mouse, a little more effort is required to set it up. Fortunately, there are lots of web pages that show how to accomplish it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=horizontal+mouse+scrolling+emulate+buttons

Many of those are linux-specific.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#9 2018-05-08 11:21:01

cmcanulty

Whoopie! The link you said worked perfectly and I don't even have to hold down shift. I didn't find that in my search as I limited to more recent posts to avoid getting outdated info. Here is the page that worked for others who need this fix. Thanks so much.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/465208/ … g-in-unity

Board footer