Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-16 06:11:00

babag

two questions about launchers

ideally, i'd like text either across or below my launcher icon. is that possible? if not, is it possible to have text instead of an icon? how?

second, i have a panel launcher for a video file. when i navigate to the file in its directory, the file shows a thumbnail from the content of the file as its icon. when i created the launcher it gave me a folder as the icon (presumably because the launcher points to a location in a folder). is there a reasonably easy way to set the thumbnail as my launcher icon?

thanks,
babag

#2 2018-05-16 10:45:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: two questions about launchers

babag wrote:

ideally, i'd like text either across or below my launcher icon. is that possible? if not, is it possible to have text instead of an icon? how?

The only option you have with text is to show the text instead of the icon. This option is available in the launcher properties on the Advanced tab.

second, i have a panel launcher for a video file. when i navigate to the file in its directory, the file shows a thumbnail from the content of the file as its icon. when i created the launcher it gave me a folder as the icon (presumably because the launcher points to a location in a folder). is there a reasonably easy way to set the thumbnail as my launcher icon?

Depends on your definition of "reasonably easy". You could manually create a thumbnail for the video file and then specify the launcher to use that newly created file. ffmpegthumbnailer can you help you create the file:

ffmpegthumbnailer -i video.mkv -o video.png -f

...where "video.mkv" is the name of the video file and "video.png" is the name of the newly created image file.

To make it easier , you could create a thunar custom action to create these files:
- Name = Create video thumbnail
- Description - Create vido thumbnail
- Command: ffmpegthumbnailer -i %F -o %F.png -f
- Icon: <your choice>
Appearance Conditions:
- Video Files checked.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-05-16 13:08:05

MountainDewManiac

ToZ, some weeks it's a struggle to buy groceries, but if you ever get around to publishing Hillbillies' and Old Farts' Complete Guide to Xfce, I'll find a way to buy a copy of the book. If it's printed with large-type font (and only $9.95).

Apologies for the brown-nosing interruption wink .

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2018-05-16 14:09:30

Jerry3904

I think a lot of people would buy it...

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2018-05-16 18:31:30

babag

yup. thanks for all this. very helpful. here's another for that manual, is there a way to change the default when adding in a separator so it inserts as transparent rather than 'separator'?

thanks,
babag

#6 2018-05-16 21:00:50

ToZ
Administrator

babag wrote:

is there a way to change the default when adding in a separator so it inserts as transparent rather than 'separator'?

It doesn't look like its possible. The setting is hard coded.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2018-05-16 22:22:45

babag

sigh... thanks.

Board footer