Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-24 15:43:29

TouchOdeath

Mint 18 Xfce panel Indicator plugin how to increase icon size(SOLVED)

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … ize/445634

Answer: 

See post:  https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=48454#p48454

Last edited by TouchOdeath (2018-05-25 16:38:15)

#2 2018-05-24 15:56:30

MountainDewManiac

Re: Mint 18 Xfce panel Indicator plugin how to increase icon size(SOLVED)

The text of your post appears to have been lost, all that got posted was a link. Is it to your How-To?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2018-05-24 16:44:45

TouchOdeath

My mistake, it wasn't lost I just didn't type anything because everything is in the stackoverflow post and there is currently no answer.  I can't resize my icons on the indicator plugin in the xfce panel.

#4 2018-05-24 17:33:56

MountainDewManiac

Ah. I should have followed the link, I guess. I was hoping that it was to a How-To on making things easier to see. I also run Mint (Xfce, of course) - and when I complained that fonts were smaller in Mint 18 and asked how to fix it a while back, I was told that there was no difference from previous versions of Mint and that it must be my perception. (This was at the Mint community forum, not here.)

Good luck on your issue!

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2018-05-24 19:19:36

ToZ
Administrator

What appearance (GTK) theme are you using? Does it make any difference if you change the theme and restart the panel "xfce4-panel -r"?

The indicator plugin is just a simple container and the icon sizes itself to fit inside the container. The only thing that might affect the size is and padding or margins that the theme itself might specify.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2018-05-24 19:53:33

TouchOdeath

When you say theme I assume you mean Appearance>Style.  I have that set to Clearlooks.  I tried changing it to Mint-X then ran your restart command, tried to resize icons, everything resizes except anything inside the indicator plugin.

I tried changing Style tab to Mint-X and then change the Icons tab FROM Mint-Y to Mint-X , ran the restart command, resized icons, nothing.

I looked at ~/.local/share/, I have no themes folder.  The path ~/.local/share/themes doesn't exist.

Let me clarify the symptom even further.  When I resize icons, the height of the space changes appropriately.  The width stays constant.  Even from a setting of 0 to 128, constant width.  The icons themselves stay the exact same size the entire time.  If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out the pictures on the stackexchange post.

Last edited by TouchOdeath (2018-05-24 21:21:46)

#7 2018-05-25 02:53:27

ToZ
Administrator

I see what you mean.

Square icons have recently been added to the indicator-plugin code base, but they won't really be available until the next release of Xfce (4.14). As an optional workaround, you could remove the indicator plugin from the panel and restart the panel. This will re-place the network manager icon in the notification area. For the sound icon, install "pnmixer" and add it to your autostart applications. This will add a volume icon to the notification tray.

The cons of this approach is that you won't be able to run any indicator-* applets. However, based on your screenshot, it looks like you only have two in the indicator plugin and they can both be replaced via the method above.

The pros are you will now have all of those icons in one plugin that supports resizing.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2018-05-25 14:59:23

TouchOdeath

Ok cool.  I will happily wait for 4.14.  Thank you for your answer and your support for Linux.  Yall are some really good guys.  Without guys like you, Linux would really be hard to get into.  I am a Linux newcomer, and holy shit Linux is awesome!!!!  I never knew what I was missing out on.

If I was using Linux and I didn't have the internet to help me out, I don't know if I would be using Linux...  But with the internets help.. wow... Linux is really impressive!!

I will post your answer on stackexchange, if you want the answer for yourself, I will happily delete my answer post.

Much thanks!

Board footer