Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-27 17:13:20

folatt

Icons are empty and just won't go away.

I have two applications that I had to install manually.

I decided that it would be nice to also manually convert the icons to svg and copy them to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/.
However, it turned out that they were faulty somehow and so they show up empty.

scVSb8.jpg

So I decided to create new ones under different names saved as compressed svg's instead of plain and copied them to /usr/share/pixmaps.
Then I deleted the ones in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/ and renamed the ones in /usr/share/pixmaps

They show up empty.

Then I copy them to /usr/share/pixmaps again under different names.

They show up empty in the normal names and normal under different names.

I assume that somewhere the names are being cached and I want to delete that cache, but where and how?

[update]

They show up if I put them in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/

It would be nice to know how to update them though. I'm thinking of changing the names and I don't like empty slots.

Last edited by folatt (2018-05-27 17:23:43)

#2 2018-05-27 20:33:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Icons are empty and just won't go away.

An easier way would be to create (if it doesn't already exist) the ~/.icons folder and just drop them in there. It shouldn't matter if they are png or svg as long as the have the correct name.

The "correct" name is found in the associated desktop file. If you created the menu items manually, you should have a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications. Make sure the "Icon=" line has the correct name.

For example, I have a "example.png" file in ~/.icons. In ~/.local/share/applications, I have a "example.desktop" file. In "example.desktop", I have the line "Icon=example".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer