Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-17 00:22:18

Mellowbob

Panel Icon size

I have the clementine music program running and have its icon nesting in the indicator panel app.

When I login to xfce4 I find that the clementine icon is about 1/2 the height of the panel. Smaller than the other icons. I I increase OR DECREASE the panel height by 1 pixel it resizes and looks fine. Right now I have the panel height set to 33 pixels.

Is there a fix for this?

#2 2018-05-17 01:49:03

Mellowbob

Re: Panel Icon size

I've done a bit more experimentation:

1. Adding a delay to the start of clementine (I have the start in my session/startup file) makes no difference

2. Changing icon sets or themes makes no difference.

However, to get the clementine icon the correct size, I can do a xfce4-panel --restart from a terminal, and that does fix it. Not a solution.

#3 2018-05-17 02:01:50

ToZ
Administrator

@Mellowbob, which distro are you using again?

There was/is an issue with QT icons on some versions of xfce4-panel. Check if you have a package something like "sni-qt" installed. Try uninstalling it and see if it helps. (See: this thread as an example of an issue with the clementine icon).

On the most recent development version of xfce4-panel, this problem doesn't seem to exist.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2018-05-17 02:15:26

Mellowbob

Thanks for the try. I did have the sni-qt package installed. Removed it, but it's made no difference.

My version of panel is xfce4-panel 4.12.0 (Xfce 4.12) .. I think there is a new one.

I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia and it most likely a version or 2 out of date. Is there a way to update the panel without changing distros?

Funny thing about all this is that it appears to be a fairly new problem ... probably within the last few weeks? I did grab some new themes, but fiddling with those and restoring to the one I had has not made a difference. Right now I'm using one of the Nodoka themes. Changed to TraditionalOK and plain XFCE and don't see a difference.

#5 2018-05-17 03:05:03

ToZ
Administrator

Try logging out and back in again. The sni-qt puts qt-based tray icons in the Indicator panel. Without out, the tray icons use the Notifcation area. Or that's my understanding of it.

Has there been a recent update of the clementine package? Can you downgrade it to see if makes a difference?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2018-05-26 16:21:32

Mellowbob

I've just finished upgrading my computer to Ubuntu 18.04 and XFCE4 4.12. The version on panel is 4.12.2 and problem still exists.

#7 2018-05-26 16:52:29

ToZ
Administrator

Testing on Xubuntu 18.04 and I see the same. It was appearing on the indicator plugin.

I installed sni-qt (it was not installed by default) and it now appears on the statusnotifier plugin and that seems to size it correctly (fits).

Do you have xfce4-statusnotifier-plugin installed?

Can you post back the results of the following (it will show which items are on which indicator/systray):

#systray
xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep systray | awk '{print $1}')/names-visible

#indicator
xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep indicator$ | awk '{print $1}')/known-indicators

#statusmotifier
xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep statusnotifier$ | awk '{print $1}')/known-items

#8 2018-05-26 19:22:14

Mellowbob

sni-qt was not installed. It is now. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

xfce4-statusnotifier-plugin was not installed. I installed it and after the 1st boot the icon showed the right size, but the text in the drop down and in the application was tiny. Log out/in and the icon got smaller again, font stayed tiny. Removed this and it's back to small icon/proper font.

bob$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep systray | awk '{print $1}')/names-visible
Value is an array with 33 items:

backintime.py
task manager
transmission
scp-dbus-service.py
lantern
clipit
mate-settings-daemon
qt4systrayicon.py
vlc
clementine
bluetooth
exaile.py
alarm clock
klipper
docky
deadbeef
pan
network
xfce4-power-manager
gtk-recordmydesktop
nemo
rhythmbox
networkmanager applet
lxmusic
banshee
sound output volume
indicator-keylock
mintupdate.py
update-notifier
psensor
kazam
blueman-applet
megasync

bob$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep indicator$ | awk '{print $1}')/known-indicators
Property "/known-indicators" does not exist on channel "xfce4-panel".

bob$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep statusnotifier$ | awk '{print $1}')/known-items
Property "/known-items" does not exist on channel "xfce4-panel".

Hope this helps

#9 2018-05-26 21:23:26

ToZ
Administrator

Is it working fine now, or are you back to your original problem?

With sni-qt and xfce4-statusnotifier-plugin installed, I have normal fonts and the icon doesn't change on repeated logins:
clementine.png

What does your QT configuration says about fonts:

cat ~/.config/Trolltech.conf  | grep font

Can you try the sni-qt/statusnotifier combo on a new test account on your system (to rule out any other potential profile-specific configuration issues)?

#10 2018-05-27 21:03:58

Mellowbob

Arrrrgggghhhhh!

Seems to be a problem in my settings. As you did, I created a new user and it appears that the icon size is just fine for him.

Any ideas on what in my massive settings file could be the problem?

#11 2018-05-27 21:29:14

ToZ
Administrator

I'm not that familiar with QT configs in a GTK environment. From what I understand, they are stored in the ~/.config/Trolltech.conf file. Maybe rename that file and see what happens? You may need to log out and back in again.

#12 2018-05-28 17:21:49

Mellowbob

I'm going to take the easy way out ... stopped using clementine and switched to rhythmbox. It is not a wonderful solution, but RB seems to be more stable. Problems I'm having with clemintine include:

disappearing internet radio stations from the config file
   erratic font sizes in display
   the mysterious icon size in the panel

Now, I have to say that RB is much more ugly! And it's presentation is much more retro looking smile But, it does seem to be stable. And, I think it's being developed.

Board footer