Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-15 12:29:31

doodloo

[Solved] Media keys not working on 18.04

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently updated to Xubuntu 18.04, and it changed the way sound shortcuts works.
Before, right after installing, I had an neat indicator in the panel - in 18.04 I have to install something manually (`indicator-sound-gtk` I think).
However, even after installing this, I still cannot change the sound volume using either:

- The knob on my headset, which is a software button, not a potentiometer,
- The media keys on my keyboard,
- The mouse wheel on the sound icon.

Those 3 methods were working before.

Is there anything I can do tho have my volume control back please?

Thanks for your time reading me wink
Pierre.

Last edited by doodloo (2018-06-16 00:30:22)

#2 2018-06-15 21:18:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Media keys not working on 18.04

Is the sound icon on your panel the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin? If so, in it's properties, there is an option to enable keyboard shortcuts for volume. If not, add it and enable the option to see if that helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-06-15 23:24:54

doodloo

ToZ wrote:

Is the sound icon on your panel the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin? If so, in it's properties, there is an option to enable keyboard shortcuts for volume. If not, add it and enable the option to see if that helps.

As always, you have something that allows me to have things to work. However, I *really* think something got broken:

- I had to add the pulseaudio indicator, and it started working. However I'm really not happy with this, because the "indicator" plugin that was previously in charge of this also displays the sound icon (the broken one).
- Another thing worth mentioning, is that when using the mouse wheel on the slider that appears in the sound popup menu, the indicator plugin one is wrong - the slider goes left when I scroll up, and right when I scroll up. That's the only place where that behaviour is inverted.

In the absolute, I only use the Indicator plugin because I like how it shows my unread email notifications from Thunderbird, and a few other things.

Any idea on how I could fix the sound icon alltogether in my "indicator" plugin?

Thank you!
Dood.

Last edited by doodloo (2018-06-15 23:26:38)

#4 2018-06-15 23:32:03

ToZ
Administrator

With the indicator plugin, try installing and running xfce4-volumed. I believe this is the pre-pulseaudio-plugin method of managing the keyboard shortcuts that Xubuntu used.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-06-15 23:59:37

doodloo

@ToZ I think I'll just ditch the indicator plugin alltogether - do you mean that the pulseaudio plugin is more recent, and maybe more supported? I noticed other bugs with the indicator plugin (Shaddows are oversized compared to other DM effects, odd things like this).

EDIT: Also, using your solution fixes another *very nasty* problem. Before, when I was using my mouse wheel on the indicator to adjust the volume, the notification with the volume level would keep popping in the foreground, hidding the currently active menu (It happens that my notification zone is the same as where my indicators are). Your solution seems to fix this problem that I had for years, that's kind of cool big_smile

Last edited by doodloo (2018-06-16 00:01:26)

#6 2018-06-16 00:22:16

ToZ
Administrator

doodloo wrote:

do you mean that the pulseaudio plugin is more recent, and maybe more supported?

The xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin is an true Xfce component - the indicator plugin is not. I believe Xubuntu has switched to using the pulseaudio plugin. I'm not sure about the supportability of indicator-sound, but xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin is as supportable as the rest of Xfce. It also has a quite a bit of updates happening to it.

EDIT: Also, using your solution fixes another *very nasty* problem. Before, when I was using my mouse wheel on the indicator to adjust the volume, the notification with the volume level would keep popping in the foreground, hidding the currently active menu (It happens that my notification zone is the same as where my indicators are). Your solution seems to fix this problem that I had for years, that's kind of cool big_smile

Nice.

#7 2018-06-16 00:29:55

doodloo

Thanks, @ToZ. I will mark this topic as solved now.

Board footer