Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-27 19:03:52

wisemagic
Website

Thunar 1.8.1 Brakes samba again

Installed Thinar 1.8.1 and lost all access to samba shares. GVFS is updated, Debian says CIFS-Utils is needed. Installed and updated. Samba is 2.4.8.2. I did image my drive earlier. Going for a restore.

#2 2018-06-28 01:37:23

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar 1.8.1 Brakes samba again

Are these shares that you are hosting or connecting to?
If connecting, how are you connecting?

Can you mount a share using "smb://server/share" typed directly into thunar?
If not, can you mount the share using "gio mount"?

I'm not having any issues with Thunar 1.8x and gvfs - using Arch.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-06-29 02:48:32

wisemagic
Website

Hi, Thanks

Yes. When I click "Browse the Network" on the left panel of Thunar, I do see "Windows Network".
Clicking it results in an empty white page. I have verified that shares are active and available.

This is entirely a home ( family ) network.

We put files we want to share into a "Public" folder rather than allowing home or any actively used folder(s) to be accessed.

I have resolved this issue.

I made a folder within my home directory and named it "Shares".

I made a desktop launcher called "MyShares".... ( MyShares.desktop ), and entered this code

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=thunar smb://Server/Public
Icon=folder-network
Name[en_US]=Public Share
Name=Access Share Folder
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Name[en_US.UTF-8]=Public Share

This connects instantly.

and

I also made a second desktop launcher to access 2
1 Terabyte shared drives connected to my router, where the entire family shares a variety of files.

I made a desktop launcher called "Cloud - Samba".... ( Cloud - Samba.desktop ), and entered this code

( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is my router IP Address )

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=thunar smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Icon=folder-network
Name[en_US]=Our Cloud
Name=Router Cloud
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Name[en_US.UTF-8]=Cloud - Samba

This also connects to the router instantly and prompts for a user password.
Once logged in, the access does actually show up in the left side of Thunar under "Browse the network".

I then dragged the "Share" folder to the left side of Thunar for easy access. Sharing printer isn't an issue as our printer is directly connected to the router and everyone in the family has access to it.

( This also works fine for FTP ..... Exec=thunar ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx )

This is kind of a round about way to do, what I believe, Thunar"s "Browse Network" is supposed to do.

Thanks again for the response.

#4 2018-06-29 10:44:29

ToZ
Administrator

wisemagic wrote:

Hi, Thanks

Yes. When I click "Browse the Network" on the left panel of Thunar, I do see "Windows Network".
Clicking it results in an empty white page. I have verified that shares are active and available.

I see. For me to get Browse Network to work, I had to allow traffic between my host and the server (debian) through my firewall. I haven't looked at exactly which ports/protocols are necessary, I just allow all traffic through between these two.

Try disabling your firewall to see if it works.

Is your server a router using the NAS connected to it?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-06-29 16:43:06

wisemagic
Website

Hi,

No, my router is an ASUS N66R. It has 2 USB ports. I have two, 1 Terabyte External HHD's plugged into them.
I had tried the firewall setting when I was troubleshooting. I should have mentioned that.... and since that didn't work,
I had moved on to making the .desktop files.
I'm not sure the firewall settings made any difference, since the .desktop launchers connect either way.

I probably shouldn't have made the title of this topic about braking Samba, because Samba seems to be working fine.

I don't display the "Browse Network" in the left pane anymore. Once I click the .desktop launcher, I'm presented with the shares on the router. Once I login to a share, it appears in the left pane under a heading of just "Network". When I unmount the share, the share name and the heding "Network" both disappear.  Actually, I'm quite happy with the way this is working now.

Thanks.

Board footer