Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-09 20:16:14

viral32111

Desktop not showing after login.

Just a notice, this is my first time posting on the forums, and sorry If the question was already answered, I've been googling this for ages but couldn't find an answer. (To be honest, not even sure if this is the right forum entirely to post this on :/, I just chose it because it said XFCE, and thats the environment i'm using)

I'll explain the problem i've been facing, So about a week ago, I was prompted to upgrade to Xubuntu 17.10, At the time I was running Xubuntu 16.04, I decided to press yes and continue with the upgrade. It took about 20 minutes to complete, once it rebooted I entered my password at the login screen like normal, But i was getting a login loop, the screen would go black and it would send me back to the login screen, prompt me to enter my password again :/, This problem is now fixed, I was browsing multiple forums and managed to come across a solution.

But now I face a different problem, Whenever I login, nothing happens. at all. A few times after i fixed the first problem, logins worked fine, but after a few days, i was now facing this problem, I tried reinstalling Xubuntu, this time 18.04, it worked, but after a reboot the error was back, So I decided to try Xubuntu Core 18.04, I installed it, Not using the Mini.iso, The full ~630MB ISO. But I am still facing this problem even after all of this, I've been using Xubuntu for well over a year now, But this error only started appearing after the upgrade. Even after i completely wiped the disk, ran an fsck check, cleared the partitions, created new ones, then installed the OS, it is still happening, I have no clue whats causing it because even after I reinstall, touch no files but maybe install a few apps such as Discord, which is basically all i use it for since its not a very powerful laptop, its small so i carry it about with me and stuff, and discord has never broken my entire desktop before...

In summary:
I turn on my computer, it boots to linux, I enter my password, and kaput, nothing happens after that, I am still able although to change brightness and volume using the keyboard keys, but shortcuts like CTRL+ALT+T to open the terminal fail with an error message.

I could really do with some help here :/, I've tried so many things and none have worked what so ever, at this point i basically cannot turn off my computer or i have no choice but to reinstall the OS :/

EDIT:
Here is a picture of my .xsession-errors file ( https://imgur.com/2g5b6Sg ), I can clearly see there is something wrong. "Something wrong with /home/jay/.cache/sessions/... etc..", but I still don't really know whats happening..

Last edited by viral32111 (2018-07-09 20:51:00)

#2 2018-07-09 21:40:56

Mellowbob

Re: Desktop not showing after login.

two suggestions, neither of which have any guaranties.

- delete your session file. Just open a virtual terminal (alt-F2), login and rm .cache/sessions/*

- change your login manager. I was having very odd problems with lightdm, switched to gdm and life was better.

#3 2018-07-09 22:42:06

viral32111

I read somewhere about clearing sessions before and have tried that, Although I just tried again, still no luck hmm

I installed gdm and switched to it from lightgm, Not much changed but at least I get a mouse cursor now as appose to just my desktop background before, Don't suppose you have any other ideas?, at this point i'm open for basically everything, hopefully except changing to a different distro

#4 2018-07-10 00:33:12

ToZ

viral32111 wrote:

In summary:
I turn on my computer, it boots to linux, I enter my password, and kaput, nothing happens after that, I am still able although to change brightness and volume using the keyboard keys, but shortcuts like CTRL+ALT+T to open the terminal fail with an error message.

What is the error message?

EDIT:
Here is a picture of my .xsession-errors file ( https://imgur.com/2g5b6Sg ), I can clearly see there is something wrong. "Something wrong with /home/jay/.cache/sessions/... etc..", but I still don't really know whats happening..

That is normal - it just means there are no saved sessions to restore (though saying that would probably be more helpful).

Taking a wild guess, it sounds like it might be an issue with your video card driver.
- What is the make/model of your computer?
- What video card(s) do you have?
- Is this one of those dual-card systems?

Also helpful would be the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You can use pastebinit to easily upload the file and then post back the link that is generated:

pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log

#5 2018-07-11 01:49:52

Mellowbob

viral32111 wrote:

I read somewhere about clearing sessions before and have tried that, Although I just tried again, still no luck hmm

I installed gdm and switched to it from lightgm, Not much changed but at least I get a mouse cursor now as appose to just my desktop background before, Don't suppose you have any other ideas?, at this point i'm open for basically everything, hopefully except changing to a different distro

Just wondering ... can you login using a terminal (the text mode ones)?

#6 2018-07-12 21:22:39

viral32111

Yes I could, Switching to GDM though for some reason (Sorry if this is completely noob hmm), but when i press CTRL+ALT+F1/F2 it doesn't switch to the terminal, are there different hotkeys for GDM?

Also I think i got it fixed anyway, I reinstalled the nvidia drivers I had on it and did some other video card stuff that was on some website and everything is generally working now, except the fact that it's slightly choppy occasionally, but i can live with it.

Board footer