Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-03 10:47:24

chocholusik

Most applications open on the left most monitor in multimonitor setup

Hello,
i've been having this issue since 14.04 and recently updated to 18.04 xubuntu, however following problem is still present;

When opening application, its window is positioned in the center of my left most monitor.
Examples:
1) clicked on whisker menu on my middle monitor and clicked "All Settings". The window with settings opens on my left monitor.
2) I have thunar file manager on my right monitor and tried to replace file with another of the same name. The dialog window with "replace", "cancel",... opens on my left most monitor.
FluxBB bbcode test

However some programs are smart and open on my current monitor (e.g. the whisker menu) or at least remember their last position (orage or shutter).

1) I have three monitors all at resolution 1920x1080 setup via Arandr
2) I have clean installation of Xubuntu 18.04

What I want to achieve is to open window on my active monitor or at least where my mouse pointer is.

I tried "Settings" -> "Window manager tweaks" -> "Placement" and changed the slider and the radio buttons. Sadly, no change.

Sometimes it is driving me nuts (e.g. Codeblocks on my right monitor opens dialog window on my left monitor and whole program seems frozen just because I haven't noticed that it opened the window 5000px left of my mouse pointer).

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by chocholusik (2018-08-03 10:48:30)

#2 2018-08-03 13:17:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Most applications open on the left most monitor in multimonitor setup

Hello and welcome.

I was going to suggest to create a bug report, but then I found these:
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13454(note: what I see in the Thunar example is that the dialog opens on the display set as Primary - I am running the latest development version of xfwm4 that has this patch enabled)
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13990
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13542
I'm not sure if any of them are exactly what you are describing - though it would seem that children dialogs should open on the same display as the parent.

Feel free to add your comments to one of the existing bug reports or create a new one if you don't think they adequately describe your situation.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-08-06 07:32:52

chocholusik

Re: Most applications open on the left most monitor in multimonitor setup

Hello, thanks a lot for reply
I've tried updating xfwm to 4.13.1, however no change
I've also seen many bugreports like this, I'm subscribed to them, but they are open since 2008, 2012 etc. so my hopes aren't exactly high.

I'll try KDE if it resolves the issue and if not it might be something HW related? (graphics drivers??)

update: just posting mini-update for wanderers smile on KDE it works fine

Last edited by chocholusik (2018-09-18 13:55:00)

Board footer