Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-17 10:12:39

an7h

Cannot copy directly from the Desktop (file doesn't exist)

I didn't really use the Desktop that much, but decided to use it lately. Now I've found an issue with copying files from the Desktop to any other location. Here in this screenshot I tried to copy a new file to my flash drive https://i.imgur.com/QEPiNwQ.png The error doesn't really explain what's wrong and I failed to find any info on this weird issue. Can someone please tell me what's wrong here? Why would it tell me that the file doesn't exist while it's clearly there? I can copy files from the desktop just fine if I use a file manager. I still don't understand why it wouldn't work if I copy things directly from the desktop. =/

I'm using the latest stable version of XFCE4 with Gentoo Linux. Sorry if someone already posted about this. I haven't found a thread about this problem.

Last edited by an7h (2018-08-17 10:14:06)

#2 2018-08-17 12:16:21

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Cannot copy directly from the Desktop (file doesn't exist)

an7h wrote:

The error doesn't really explain what's wrong and I failed to find any info on this weird issue.

Which file manager are you using? Does the same happen when you use thunar?

Can someone please tell me what's wrong here? Why would it tell me that the file doesn't exist while it's clearly there?

The message indicates that the file doesn't exist (I can't actually see it on your screenshot). Is there a file there called "New File"? From a terminal window, what information can you get about the file:

file "New File"

...or even:

ls -l

...to see info about it.

I can copy files from the desktop just fine if I use a file manager. I still don't understand why it wouldn't work if I copy things directly from the desktop. =/

Do you mean you can copy files to your desktop just fine?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-08-17 16:37:12

an7h

ToZ wrote:

Which file manager are you using? Does the same happen when you use thunar?

I'm using Nemo, but yeah, the same happens with Thunar as well if I set up as the default one. oh wait, nevermind, everything works fine with the default file manager. The thing is that I don't want to use it. Nemo works fine otherwise, it's just that this little problem occurred and I'm wondering what's wrong.

ToZ wrote:

The message indicates that the file doesn't exist (I can't actually see it on your screenshot). Is there a file there called "New File"? From a terminal window, what information can you get about the file:

file "New File"

...or even:

ls -l

...to see info about it.

an7h@home ~/Desktop $ file "test" 
test: empty

an7h@home ~/Desktop $ ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 an7h an7h 0 Aug 17 17:02 test

it's just a file I created using the right mouse click context menu (Right click --> Create Document --> Empty file).

ToZ wrote:

Do you mean you can copy files to your desktop just fine?

https://imgur.com/a/N2cpZKo

More info (?):
K1HVWS7l.png

#4 2018-08-17 17:04:38

ToZ
Administrator

Ohh, you're running nemo with sudo.

Try running nemo normally to see if it works and for root access, try:

pkexec nemo

...instead.

If it still doesn't work, you might want to follow up with nemo support - especially since thunar works.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-08-17 17:44:40

an7h

I started nemo with sudo just ot see if there's any more info I can see in the terminal. I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. If I run it the regular way it just starts up. Looks like I need to ask around the cinnamon desktop forums or something (linux mint forums?). Anyway, thanks for your replies, man. smile

Last edited by an7h (2018-08-17 17:50:03)

#6 2018-08-17 18:41:43

ToZ
Administrator

To rule out xfdesktop, start it up debug mode and try to copy. See if you get any debug information:

pkill xfdesktop && xfdesktop -e

Board footer