Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-23 22:09:33

johnywhy

How to Force Wrap to Break in the Middle of Words in Leafpad?

With wordwrap enabled in LeafPad, a long word at the end of line doesn't wrap-- it disappears off the right edge of the window.

This might be application-specific, and not an xfce thing.

arch xfce x86_64

#2 2018-08-24 01:09:29

alcornoqui

Re: How to Force Wrap to Break in the Middle of Words in Leafpad?

How to Force Wrap to Break in the Middle of Words in Leafpad?

The word wrap feature splits lines at word boundaries in order to fit text within a specified wrap margin. A word boundary, for the purposes of word wrap, means whitespace.

Maybe you mean hyphenation?

Hyphenation is not a feature of text editors usually. It's a word pocessor, or page layout thing.

Or are you trying to wrap words longer than the wrap margin?

This might be application-specific, and not an xfce thing.

Yeah, I think actually Mousepad, the official Xfce text editor, is a (maintained) Leafpad fork.

Word wrap seems to work in Mousepad 0.4.0 (Xubuntu 16.04)

#3 2018-08-24 01:43:28

johnywhy

"trying to wrap words longer than the wrap margin?"

Maybe, not sure what wrap margin means.

In terminal, for example, words can be wrapped in the middle of the word. But not in leafpad.

I'll have to try mousepad.

Not hyphenation.

THX

arch xfce x86_64

#4 2018-08-24 03:21:15

peter.48

First, I think you're talking about xed and not leafpad. There is no wrap function on laefpad or mousepad (at least in its Fedora editions). I think you have to look for help on the mint or ubuntu forum.

#5 2018-08-24 03:45:26

Spass

peter.48, are you sure about that, because I can see "Word Wrap" feature on both. It would be strange if Fedora had different versions of these applications. See here: https://ibb.co/jXoQqz (Mousepad on top, feature enabled in the Document menu, Leafpad on bottom)

johnywhy, I don't know any text editor that breaks words "in the middle" when using Word Wrap. So moving the whole word to the next line is a standard behaviour of a text editor. But maybe someone here knows some editor that has more advanced word wrap options.

#6 2018-08-24 04:31:48

johnywhy

Spass wrote:

moving the whole word to the next line is a standard behaviour

if the whole wrd is longer than the window, then it can't do that. In that case, the word should break into as many pieces as necessary to wrap it.

But it's not doing that. The word disappears off the edge of the window, instead of moving to the next line. Apparently, wrapping is only happening on whitespace.

THX

Last edited by johnywhy (2018-08-24 08:01:40)

arch xfce x86_64

#7 2018-08-24 07:04:47

peter.48

Spass wrote:

peter.48, are you sure about that, because I can see "Word Wrap" feature on both. It would be strange if Fedora had different versions of these applications. See here: https://ibb.co/jXoQqz (Mousepad on top, feature enabled in the Document menu, Leafpad on bottom)

Sorry, this is my mistake (english it's not my strong suit),I've confused wordwrap and word division: in spanish wordwrap
this is literally "line adjustment", when i saw "word" i immediately thought about "word division".

#8 2018-08-24 07:52:18

johnywhy

showing the problem:

HACHEtZ.jpg

HACHOYh.jpg

HACHUS2.jpg

i just tested mousepad, and showing same issue.

Last edited by johnywhy (2018-08-24 07:59:52)

arch xfce x86_64

#9 2018-08-24 15:55:24

alcornoqui

peter.48 wrote:

Sorry, this is my mistake (english it's not my strong suit),I've confused wordwrap and word division: in spanish wordwrap
this is literally "line adjustment", when i saw "word" i immediately thought about "word division".

Yeah, I use spanish too: Word wrap == Ajuste de línea

@johnywhy: Sublime Text, for example, does what you want, but not Mousepad or Leafpad (Notepad++ can do it too, I think).

But even in Sublime, the "word wrap" feature itself works the same. The thing is Sublime has additional features (word wrap column), and plugins[1] that can force what I'd call "letter wrap" or "word break" (but not "word wrap", which is more or less consistent across editors, as Spass said).

[1] examples from https://github.com/ehuss/Sublime-Wrap-Plus#configuring

"wrap_width" > 0 > The maximum line width. If 0, defaults to the first ruler, or 78. Also set via View → Word Wrap Column.

"word_wrap" > "auto" > This disables horizontal scrolling (*soft* or *automatic* word wrapping). May be true, false, or "auto" where it will be disabled for source code. Also toggled via View → Word Wrap.

Board footer