Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-28 20:42:52

Linpassion

xfce4 and time setting

I see that xfce don't has a section to set date and time, I must do by term..very noise

#2 2018-08-28 20:54:10

Jerry3904

Re: xfce4 and time setting

What distro and version are you running Xfce on?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2018-08-28 23:55:42

alcornoqui

I have time-admin (part of the package gnome-system-tools), and the correspònding item in the settings window. It's a nice GUI:

https://help.gnome.org/users/time-admin … admin.html

I'm using Xubuntu 16.04.5. It came installed by default, as it depends on the xubuntu-desktop metapackage.

#4 2018-08-29 00:52:34

mint4all

Linpassion wrote:

I see that xfce don't has a section to set date and time, I must do by term..very noise

Geetings!

Afaict, Xfce 4.12 comes with a built-in gui to update the system's "Time and Date" setting. There are 2 ways to access this popup window:

- Whisker Menu > System Category > left-click the "Time and Date" option; or
- Xfce Menu > System Category > left-click the "Time and Date" option.

Note: On Mint's Xfce-spin (18.* and 19) the "All Settings" manager does not show the foregoing option. Moreover, Xfce's popup window differs somewhat from Gnome's -- it has an "unlock" button (prompting you for the root password) not present on Gnome's, but doesn't display a time-server selection list like Gnome's popup.

Hope this helps. Cheers, M4A

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#5 2018-08-29 13:11:16

Linpassion

I'm using Slackware 14.2 by XFCE 4.12

#6 2018-08-29 15:31:52

Jerry3904

@mint4all: are you sure that is not a Mint app instead? I don't see any such item anywhere in Xfce 4.12.

We have a gui app for this called "Time Settings" and I believe that Gnome has a Date and Time one as well.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#7 2018-08-29 18:52:55

alcornoqui

Linpassion wrote:

I'm using Slackware 14.2 by XFCE 4.12

I haven't used Slackware, but I made some searches and I can't find a GUI.

I saw mentions of tzdata, tzselect and timeconfig on the terminal, do you use any of those?

#8 2018-08-30 00:47:25

mint4all

Prompted by your replies, i did some additional research. On my Mint systems, LM18.3 & LM19, i found the "Time and Date" settings GUI in the menus. In a terminal, however, the equivalent command to execute is "time-admin" which ends up displaying the afore mentioned gui. It even has its own man-page.

Much to my surprise, though, this command's man-page states that this command is part-and-parcel of the "Gnome system tools". Then when i searched in synaptic on Mint 18.3, i found both an entry for the "gnome-time-admin" and "gnome-system-tools" packages, and i also found an apt-cache policy for both. The troubling observation i made was that the installed gui looks different (possibly back-leveled?) from what synaptic lists, and what the gui's help button displays (the look of the gnome-version).

However, the same search on Mint 19 shows no such packages in synaptic, and there's no apt-cache policy either even though Mint 19 has those same menu entries, and both the menu-entry and the command are functional and display that non-gnome gui.

Upshot: those of you who need this gui-app, simply install "gnome-system-tools" which bundles a few other, helpful tools as well, and i quote ...

Its main advantages are:
 * Full integration with the new GNOME Control Center.
 * An user-friendly interface to carry out the main administration tasks.
 * The use of a common user interface in every system.
 * A common structure that makes easy the development of new system tools.
Nowadays there are tools for managing:
 - Users and groups
 - Date and time
 - Network options
 - Services
 - Shares (NFS and Samba)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#9 2020-09-13 20:09:12

julian

It's 2020.

I can't find a default Date/Time Settings dialog (GUI) in Manjaro. Is there one I'm not seeing? Time is fundamental to computing for networking.

The Panel has a helpful dialog for how the time is shown, but it looks like if I need to change the time itself I need to manually install another package or use the Terminal? I can't offer an OS like this to non-power users. "Install the OS, oh and don't forget to install the Date/Time Settings Dialog box after", is not going to get anyone excited.

I tried emailing someone at Manjaro (<PERSON>@kde.org) but I don't know if it reached them because I use an @i2pmail.org email.

Last edited by julian (2020-09-13 20:26:29)

PGP: 4198 58E4 F9E8 AC05 FDEA A303 F083 6D52 5A2D 8356

Find my email where you get good encryption keys.

#10 2020-09-13 22:22:37

mint4all

julian wrote:

It's 2020.

I can't find a default Date/Time Settings dialog (GUI) in Manjaro. Is there one I'm not seeing? Time is fundamental to computing for networking.

The Panel has a helpful dialog for how the time is shown, but it looks like if I need to change the time itself I need to manually install another package or use the Terminal? I can't offer an OS like this to non-power users. "Install the OS, oh and don't forget to install the Date/Time Settings Dialog box after", is not going to get anyone excited.

I tried emailing someone at Manjaro (<PERSON>@kde.org) but I don't know if it reached them because I use an @i2pmail.org email.

Greetings!

Nice surprise to see this old post again. I have checked several of my systems (Mint 19.3 32-bit and 64-bit with xfce 4.12, and Mint 20.0, 64-bit with xfce 4.14) and  the "gnome-system-tools" package is installed by default. As well,  the "time-admin" app can be added to the xfce panel (if so desired) and pops up its gui when run from the terminal. So it really depends on how a distro is being packaged, imho.

Howeverm i do agree with your observation -- any DE should ship with a FULL complement of config tools, and not leave it up to a distro to provide such necessities as time & date setting. As much as we tend to look down on windoz' "Control Panel", we have a way to go to reach that level of completeness out-of-the-box on linux' DEs...

Cheers, m4a

#11 2020-09-14 08:09:18

julian

Thanks mint4all. In the terminal I've tried typing "gnome-" + tab. Some gnome apps appear but gnome-system-tools is not among them. Do you know if Manjaro are replacing gnome-system-tools with something else? I haven't removed it myself.

HELLO!!!! big_smile

FOUND IT! Manjaro users look for "Manjaro Settings Manager" in the Xfce menu. In this window find the 'Time and Date' dialog button. hmm

(I'd advise the dev team that a 'cog' button be placed in the top corner of the month/calendar view, which appears when a user clicks the time in the Panel. Upon clicking this the user would immediately be provided the relevant dialog. Also, a 'Time and Date' launcher should be added to the Whisker menu, because 'Manjaro Settings Manager' is not what people search for. At the very least add keywords 'date' and 'time' to the above launcher. Any Manjaro devs here? Thanks)

PGP: 4198 58E4 F9E8 AC05 FDEA A303 F083 6D52 5A2D 8356

Find my email where you get good encryption keys.

Board footer