Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-28 12:27:56

vogu66

Mousepad "justify" option

Hello,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to make mousepad show the text as justified ?  I'm using it as my LaTex editor and I really prefer having a tidy text rather than lines of different lengths.

Thanks in advance

#2 2018-09-02 16:12:34

mint4all

Re: Mousepad "justify" option

Greetings!

Being just another member here, i can't speak for xfce's developers. What i do know a bit about is using various text editors (mostly the MS-Office variety over the past 15 years or so; prior to that, all sorts of mark-up editors).

"Mousepad" and its relatives (gedit, xedit, xed, notepad++, atom etc.) do a good (if not excellent) job of syntax highlighting -- a feature i thing you like a lot -- but none of them are designed to do what you're asking: to "justify" (meaning: to insert, based on a formula, small amounts of blank spaces between characters, punctuation, words & sentences) the text you enter(ed), or the block of lines/paragraphs formed.

Instead, have you looked into trying one of the free, open-source LaTex-editors available to you? Some are mentioned @ https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-latex-ed … nux-nerds/ and @ https://itsfoss.com/latex-editors-linux/ ? As i looked them over, i noticed that a good number of them even have a 2-pane layout that does just what you're asking for, to give you a WYSIWIG-view of what your marked-up text looks like to the reader ... Isn't that what you're really after?

Just a thought ... Cheers, M4A

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-09-03 07:24:59

vogu66

Thanks for the reply !
To be honest, I didn't really want to download yet another program on this computer, but, since the feature doesn't exist (as opposed to I couldn't find it), I guess downloading something is unavoidable. What I would like is not especially the WYSIWYG-view but just the text editor that would make the text fit my window, whatever its size, so it doesn't look so messy and I know where I actually typed enter and where the line was just wrapped - without modifying the text document itself. I still think it would be a great feature, if not for code at least for .txt and .tex documents.

Thanks again, I'll go through the editors in the links you proposed and check them out.

Cheers

#4 2018-09-03 13:27:27

alcornoqui

vogu66 wrote:

What I would like is not especially the WYSIWYG-view but just the text editor that would make the text fit my window, whatever its size, so it doesn't look so messy and I know where I actually typed enter and where the line was just wrapped - without modifying the text document itself.

You can make Mousepad show the end of line in Preferences > View > Show > Show end of lines (wording may be different, as I'm translating from the spanish version).

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/RoDcSdX

Board footer