Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 19:17:19

toothandnail

Notifications missing when removable media is unmounted

I'm running several copies of Arch Linux, all using Xfce. Recently I've noticed that when I unmount or eject removable media, I no longer get a notification of the fact. I'm not sure how recent the change is - only use removable media occasionally. Now, the only way I can tell that the media is unmounted is through changes in the highlighting of the desktop icon.

I've just installed a new copy of Arch, and find it exhibits the same behaviour. A copy of Sparky Linux installed a couple of days ago correctly shows desktop notification when removable  media is unmounted, but Sparky is not as up-to-date in terms of installed pacakges.

Can anyone suggest what the culprit might be? And how to fix it - the notifications are useful and I'd much rather have them...

Paul.

#2 2018-06-26 01:05:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Notifications missing when removable media is unmounted

Note: I'm assuming that you have libnotify installed and are seeing other notifications.

Actually, the notification is being run, it's just being displayed and dismissed very quickly. If you add the notification plugin to the panel and ensure that logging is enabled, you'll see the log entry. In fact, if I copy a large amount of data to the drive and then try to unmount or eject, I'll get a longer notification telling me to wait.

I guess the question is why is the notification being dismissed so quickly. Perhaps a bug report against thunar is in order.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-06-26 15:37:18

toothandnail

ToZ wrote:

Note: I'm assuming that you have libnotify installed and are seeing other notifications.

smile Yes, libnotify is installed. Other notifications are still being displayed. I don't normally have removable media set to automount, but set it that way as a test, and I'm getting a desktop notification when a newly plugged in removable drive mounts.

Actually, the notification is being run, it's just being displayed and dismissed very quickly. If you add the notification plugin to the panel and ensure that logging is enabled, you'll see the log entry. In fact, if I copy a large amount of data to the drive and then try to unmount or eject, I'll get a longer notification telling me to wait.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that. I'm not seeing anything on the panel plugin, and when I check the log, it shows "no notifications have been logged yet" even after I've mounted and unmounted several removable drives.

I guess the question is why is the notification being dismissed so quickly. Perhaps a bug report against thunar is in order.

I dug back through my package archive (I usually only keep three generations of any one package), installed the oldest version of Thunar I had - its behaviour is exactly the same - no visible or logged notification for an unmount operation. So I suspect its something at a lower level that is causing the problem. Trouble is, I have no idea what. Since I don't have a clear idea when it started doing this, I can't check to see what else was updated at that time. I have updates of gvfs dated June 7th, which may be a possible culprit. udisk2 hasn't been updated since February, so I'm pretty sure it can't be the problem. I'm not sure what else to look at for possible causes.

#4 2018-06-26 16:24:12

ToZ
Administrator

toothandnail wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that. I'm not seeing anything on the panel plugin, and when I check the log, it shows "no notifications have been logged yet" even after I've mounted and unmounted several removable drives.

Make sure that logging is enabled (in the logging section of the plugin properties).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-06-27 06:44:22

toothandnail

ToZ wrote:
toothandnail wrote:

Make sure that logging is enabled (in the logging section of the plugin properties).

I've got the log settings as log notifications: always, log applications: all. Other things are going into the log, but there is no sign of any unmount notifications. I just turned on automount as a test, and the mount notification appears on the desktop and also in the log.

Its not vital, since I do get error popups if the device can't be unmounted, but it would be useful if the unmount notifications still workded.

Paul.

#6 2018-06-27 10:44:45

ToZ
Administrator

That is strange as I do get the umount messages but they are displayed quickly. Either case, you should create a bug report.

#7 2018-06-27 16:13:06

toothandnail

ToZ wrote:

That is strange as I do get the umount messages but they are displayed quickly. Either case, you should create a bug report.

What distro are you running? Arch tends to be very cutting edge, so I'm wondering if some underlying package has changed and caused this which may not apply to whatever distro you're running..

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. I will create a bug report. May try one in the Arch buggzilla as well.

Paul.

#8 2018-07-25 20:43:00

cmsigler

@toothandnail,

I have the same problem on up-to-date Arch systems.  Like a blind squirrel I experimented with downgrading xfdesktop, thunar and xfce4-mount-plugin.  I found a "magic" combination of versions:

thunar 1.6.15-1
xfdesktop 4.12.4-1

This again gives me dismount notifications.  Downgrading xfce4-mount-plugin from the current version, 1.1.3-1, didn't seem to have any effect.  And I'm probably showing my Xfce ignorance by messing with that one anyway.

HTH.  I will file an Arch flyspray bug report.

Clemmitt Sigler

#9 2018-07-25 21:01:22

cmsigler

@toothandnail,

My bug is submitted to Arch Flyspray as FS#59452:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59452

I hope it is accepted and someone works on it.  Thank you for your Xfce forum post, which helped me understand that this wasn't a problem caused by my own stupidity ;-)

Clemmitt Sigler

#10 2018-07-25 22:35:52

ToZ
Administrator

#11 2018-08-24 10:23:12

ToZ
Administrator

ToZ wrote:

A patch has been created and I've tested it successfully. If someone else can test it as well to see if it fixes the issue, that would be helpful.

#12 2018-09-04 08:01:55

gorki.b

beginner's question.
how do i apply this patch?

#13 2018-09-04 10:39:48

ToZ
Administrator

Hello and welcome.

The easiest answer to the question is to wait until a new version of thunar is released and your distro adds this version to it's repositories. The final patch simply added a delay (timeout) in removing the "do not unplug....." notification so it stays on the screen longer to see.

It is also possible to build thunar from source, though it is a bit of a complicated process. Which distro (and version) are you using?

#14 2018-09-04 11:06:14

gorki.b

Thank you very much
after some years with xubuntu i recently switched to archlinux.
also with the xfce desktop
the system is up to date.

Then I'll probably wait for an update.

#15 2018-09-04 22:03:30

ToZ
Administrator

gorki.b wrote:

Thank you very much
after some years with xubuntu i recently switched to archlinux.
also with the xfce desktop
the system is up to date.

Then I'll probably wait for an update.

Since you are using Arch, you can install thunar-git from the AUR and it will include this patch. Just keeping checking the regular package updates and when thunar is officially updated in the repositories, install it back.

#16 2018-09-05 04:15:26

gorki.b

Then this is what I do.
Once again, thank you

#17 2018-09-10 19:28:43

gorki.b

xfdesktop-git  4.13.1.r117.g10473391-1
that was the temporary solution in the end.
plus libxfce4ui 4.13.0

Board footer