Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-26 03:22:37

yurbev

Hotkeys to Open Folders in Thunar?

I don't like using the side panel. I'd like to assign hotkeys to open oft-used folders within an existing instance of Thunar. Would something involving application shortcuts starting with "exo-open --launch" work?

#2 2018-09-26 10:37:06

alcornoqui

Re: Hotkeys to Open Folders in Thunar?

In Settings > Appearance > Configuration tab > Menus and buttons > Activate editable accelerators.

In Thunar, create bookmarks in the side panel for the desired folders, then in the Thunar menu open Go, and as you hover over each bookmark entry, press your desired key combination, which you'll see then get set.

After this, you can press that key combination to go to that folder, even with the side panel hidden.

You can reset any of these shortcuts hovering again over the menu option and pressing backspace.

edit: wording may be different, as I'm translating from spanish... Again, what was the way of launching an app temporarily in another language?

Last edited by alcornoqui (2018-09-26 10:39:39)

#3 2018-09-26 10:54:54

ToZ
Administrator

To add to @alcornoqui's answer, gtk3 removed the editable accelerators functionality. If you are using the GTK3 version of thunar, you need to manually edit the ~/.config/Thunar/accels.scm file and add the shortcut to every "(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ThunarBookmarks/....." entry. There will be some trial and error to figure out which entry refers to which menu item as the entries appear as hash computations of some sort.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2018-09-26 12:17:49

alcornoqui

Bummer. Do you happen to know if the existing custom shortcuts will work after the update? I guess the answer is yes, because I added one as a test and it appears right away in accels.scm, like this:

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ThunarBookmarks/cb246386d4534320bf5f1c436ed746e4" "<Alt>ntilde")

Someone on the GTK team really really wants me to try PLasma... (sigh)

#5 2018-09-26 17:18:34

yurbev

Thanks for the help! Fortunately my version works with alcornoqui's directions.

To avoid starting another thread, do you happen to know if it's possible to have a previous folder button inside directories, like you have with Multi-Commander?

pGsmqzR.png

The one in Multi-Commander goes to the higher directory in the hierarchy and not necessarily the last folder visited, which I like. The back button on Thunar doesn't always take me to the higher directory to the one which I'm in.

Barring that can the back button on Thunar be modified in the way specified?

#6 2018-09-27 00:01:53

alcornoqui

The back button goes to the previous directory, as does Alt+left (Alt+right would do the opposite). Alt+up goes to the parent directory. All these are configurable.

Try them and ask any follow up questions, in case I didn't get it right.

#7 2018-09-27 00:52:39

mint4all

yurbev wrote:

I don't like using the side panel. I'd like to assign hotkeys to open oft-used folders within an existing instance of Thunar. Would something involving application shortcuts starting with "exo-open --launch" work?

Greetings!

Ime, "exo-open ..." may be the way to go (if you want to be GTK?-agnostic). The MAN-page states that if you don't use the "--launch" option, exo will launch the appropriate app per the target's mime-type. I've tested this and it sems to work ok. Ie, to have Thunar quickly jump to your Documents-folder with a shortcut, you'd pick a key combo (i used Super+3 for my testing) and it will open THAT folder just fine, or, for example, your FamilyDocs subfolder, like this ...

exo-open Ducments/FamilyDocs

I've been using exo-open for a collection of web-URLs that i routinely open using my panels' launch buttons. That way I don't have to bother with keyboard shortcuts (or any conflicting ones).

Good luck, M4A

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#8 2023-08-18 11:42:41

nevskysun

Hi all,
in thunar 4.18 it's still possible to have accelerators for bookmarks, but needs some workaround:

1. Add bookmarks to side panel as usual. They should appear in file /home/uname/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
2. Generate md5 hash for each line in file (I use https://www.md5hashgenerator.com/  )
3. Add your accelerators to /home/uname/.config/Thunar/accels.scm
(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ThunarBookmarks/10e5245dda440c9c3092098c5d0dce74" "<Alt>t")
replace 10e5245dda440c9c3092098c5d0dce74 to your md5 hash and <Alt>t to desired hotkey,
don't forget to remove ; to uncomment the line smile
4. Logout, login

Board footer