Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-03 17:58:09

cake

run application on certain desktop.

hey there! xfce is awesome, really. thanks for everyone who is somehow related to it.

now to the question. I have multiple machines with xfce, all of them sync home folders.
and I want to make startup script for each of them. like on my office workstation I want to start Firefox on first desktop, IDE on second, Terminal on third and messenger on fourth. desktops I mean those that you have on the top-right by default.

tl;dr how to start application from command line on first, second or any other desktop?

thanks!

== edit ==

found one acceptable answer: use wmctrl.

Last edited by cake (2018-10-03 18:05:30)

#2 2018-10-03 22:18:15

ToZ
Administrator

Re: run application on certain desktop.

Hello and welcome.

I use devilspie and the "set_workspace" directive to place applications on specific workspaces/desktops.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-10-04 00:54:00

corstar
Website

I have achieved this in the past by using Xfce and Openbox as the window manager. I've written a post about it several years ago, but still the exact same process. In the Openbox rc file, you can specify each desktop and even the states of each window.

http://corypollard.com/entries/linux/us … er-in-xfce

And here's a link to customizing the Openbox rc

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Configuration

#4 2018-10-04 01:01:33

ToZ
Administrator

corstar wrote:

I have achieved this in the past by using Xfce and Openbox as the window manager.

Replacing the window manager is a very drastic workaround for something that can be handled with a small utility.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-10-04 01:14:37

corstar
Website

I've never had any issues with it. Ran it for years on both Mate and Xfce, using openbox as the window manager.

Board footer