Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-22 08:36:14

michaelsf

[SOLVED] vertical panel with wrong horizontal oriented elements

Hi,

on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (with apt update and apt upgrade, theme Greybird) I experience problems with a vertical panel as it doesn't rotate the content (but the space) of most of the parts vertical like they should be. Switching to deskbar mode doesn't change much (just makes everything even more horizontal). In example: on vertical mode the orage clock occupies it's vertical space but shows horizontal text (even no matter what option of rotation is used within the clock settings) - see screenshots below. In deskbar mode the text stays horizontal but the space shortens to it's correct text size. Back in vertical mode the text stays the same, but it occupies space as it would show the expected and wanted vertical text. Same for the other clock, same for the battery symbol with percentage text, same for the task-bars and ...
But it does work correctly for the network monitor and the desktop switch...

Any help is highly appreciated, cause as it's a clean fresh install with apt update and apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade I have no idea what I could do against it.

Thank You in advance,

michaelsf

Last edited by michaelsf (2018-10-24 21:03:20)

-- just a beginner ...

#2 2018-10-23 16:19:21

mint4all

Re: [SOLVED] vertical panel with wrong horizontal oriented elements

Greetings!

I've been using vertical panel(s) on my wide-screen monitors for 3+ years now, with none of the problems you've mentioned. Currently i am running the GTK2-based version of Xfce4 on Linux Mint 18.3 (based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), and Linux Mint 19.0 (based on Ubuntu 18.04). None of my vertical panel(s) display that kind of problem. My version of XFCE4-panel is 4.12.0, and Orage is 4.12.1 (per xfce's GIT, the latest version) ...

Because orage was one of the xfce-apps i had yet to "play" with, your post prompted me to install it and put it through its paces. It works without a problem -- all its windows & alerts are perfectly aligned when brought up. So would you please take a screenshot of your dis-oriented windows / popups, and look over those software versions, too?

Cheers, m4a

Last edited by mint4all (2018-10-23 16:20:47)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-10-23 19:56:39

michaelsf

Hi,

I have no problem on a PC with Xubuntu 16.04 but found the same problem on fresh installs of Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on two other Laptops and found someone else with a similar problem and a screenshot - take a look at the taskbar - here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/802360/ … -04/875382

I don't know how do I find out the version number of the files, but I hope there should be some screenshots below...

The release notes mention: Xfce Panel 4.12.2, xfdesktop4 (4.12.3-4ubuntu2) (see: https://wiki.xubuntu.org/releases/18.04/release-notes )

001aa8-1540384538.pngvertical side panel with orage clock (not clicked) - check wrong oriented battery-percentage as well
mousover orage clock but not clickedmouseover orage clock but not clicked
470087-1540384377.pngvertical side panel with mouse over taskbar (not clicked)
11cfd9-1540384445.pngvertical side panel with taskbar clicked

Thank You and all the best,
michaelsf

Last edited by michaelsf (2018-10-24 12:40:47)

-- just a beginner ...

#4 2018-10-24 16:42:42

mint4all

Thank you!

Re. software versions ... The quickest way to check, ime: open a terminal / command window, then enter the program's name (z.b. "xfce4-panel -V") without the quotes. Note: the "-V" option is case-sensitive. Alas, afaik, this does not work with library-files/-modules, z.b. "lib*" The best way to check their versions, imho, would be with your package manager (synaptic).

Re. horizontal orientation of widgets in vertical panel ("Leiste") ... Ime, single-width rows work well only with single-width widgets/buttons (ie for a netbook/laptop). Generally, I have set my right-edge panel's row-width to 48px and use 2 rows. That works fine IN MY CURRENT SETUP. The "Orage Panel Clock" widget has its own orientation option to fix its appearance. After rotating, it looks ok. Some widgets (z.b. Whisker Menu) can be adjusted to "stretch" across both rows, or to only occupy a single place -- but that's just a cleanup effort.

Perhaps there's one more tweak to do: after you have placed your vertical panel where you want it, change its orientation to 'Deskbar" (US english, idk the german option). Without toggling that [final] option, some of the widgets may act a bit strange. Attached is a screenshot of my main system's vertical panel fyi ...

Vertical-Panel.png

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#5 2018-10-24 19:49:51

michaelsf

Thank You for all Your effort!

I'm sorry if I couldn't make my self clear enough. My problem is, the vertical option of the panel doesn't work as promised. I did like it the way it was on Xubuntu 14.04 LTS for a long time with my small vertical panels with vertical aligned texts for the taskbar and the vertical digital clock and the vertical percentage text of the battery and so on. I don't want to have a bigger vertical panel with horizontal (=deskbar option) texts. I just want my Xubuntu 14.04 (and still today in the documentation promised) behaviour of a small vertical panel with vertical texts (like in the screenshots above in the taskbar-clicked / orage-clock-mouseover version).
Of course I could change the look of my desktop and use a bigger panel and the deskbar option, but I just would love to have my 24 pixel wide 1 row vertical panel with vertical content like it was before (and it's promised in the documentation)...

Anyway, just to see how it works on your versions, could You post a screenshot of Your vertical panel using the "vertical"- instead of the "deskbar" option, please?

Thank You again!

-- just a beginner ...

#6 2018-10-24 19:55:10

mint4all

Just to make sure that deskbar-handling hasn't regressed under xubuntu 18.04.1, i booted it up with my live dvd and tested xfce4-panel v4.12.2 ... I had no problems retracing my usual panel-configuration steps. Below is a screenshot of my prototype:

Vertical-Panel-xub18041.png

As you can see, the panel's twin-rows (actually twin-columns) configured properly; the whisker-button straddles both columns, and so does the orage-panel-clock. The individual launcher-buttons alternate left > right > top > bottom. As was to be expected the various systray indicators were a jumble of different icon sizes & arrangements that would have required quite some tweaking (imho a real mess that supposedly is now fixed in 18.10). But my above sample is basically a proof-of-concept that demonstrates that xfce's handling of vertical panels is quite viable.

Cheers, m4a

#7 2018-10-24 19:57:01

ToZ
Administrator

Try changing the appearance theme to something other than Greybird. I think this is a bug with the theme.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2018-10-24 20:08:00

michaelsf

mint4all wrote:

As you can see, the panel's twin-rows (actually twin-columns) configured properly;

I'm so sorry my English is so bad... I try it once more:
I'm *not* interested in Your deskbar 2 row set.
I'm interested in a vertical bar with one row with 24 pixels wide and vertical text and a vertical digital clock and a vertical taskbar ...

Sorry again...

ToZ wrote:

Try changing the appearance theme to something other than Greybird. I think this is a bug with the theme.

@ToZ: YES! You are right it looks like a problem from the Greybird-theme. Only the percentage of the battery stays in horizontal with all themes, but all the other text-items like the digital clock or the task bar are working fine with every other than the Greybird theme.

(To bad none of the others fits my taste as perfect as Greybird, but this is not so important to me as the correct vertical function...)

Thank You very much!

Do You maybe know a tutorial how to change the colors in a theme (Numix would be good to, if I could change the red to a dark blue...)?

Last edited by michaelsf (2018-10-24 21:04:16)

-- just a beginner ...

#9 2018-10-25 06:58:42

Spass

michaelsf wrote:

To bad none of the others fits my taste as perfect as Greybird, but this is not so important to me as the correct vertical function...

Maybe try installing a newer version of Greybird? in Bionic there's 3.22.8, but there's 3.22.9 in the Cosmic repo. You can download the DEB file from here and install it on your system: http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u … u1_all.deb

Also, there's a blue version of Numix in the repos:

sudo apt install numix-blue-gtk-theme

#10 2018-10-29 15:23:31

michaelsf

Spass wrote:

Also, there's a blue version of Numix in the repos:

I tried this one and I liked it so far (only the white background of the network monitor in the black panel wouldn't be my first choice ;-).

Thank You very much and all the best to You!

-- just a beginner ...

Board footer