Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-24 18:51:02

xfmanj

keyboard repeat rate not applied on boot

Hello,

When I boot into my desktop, the custom repeat delay/repeat speeds I set in the keyboard settings are not applied. The values of which I had previously set them to are still present when I open up the keyboard settings, but in order to have them applied I need to modify one of the values.

In summary:

1) I set custom delay/repeat speeds, and the work during the current session
2) I restart my machine and they are not applied
3) I open the keyboard settings dialog, and the numbers I had configured are present
4) I'll increase one of the value by one, then decrease by one
5) Everything works as expected until next reboot

How can I go about fixing this? The preferred option would to not have to execute a custom script on startup; that is, I am hoping there is some settings I have mis-configured.

Thanks,

#2 2018-10-24 20:05:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: keyboard repeat rate not applied on boot

Hello and welcome.

Which distro and version of Xfce are you running?

Which version of xfce4-settings:

xfsettingsd -V

And what do the rights look like for the config files:

ls -l ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-10-24 20:09:17

mint4all

Greetings!

Afaik, some people have in the past experienced a problem similar to your's. In those cases, the system's "generic" keyboard layout needed a tweak so as to recognize a particular (OEM) layout. Could you look into this some more? Like this ... Wiskermenu > All Settings {button} > Hardware {section} > Keyboard {window} > Layout {tab} > uncheck "use system defaults" {option} > select "Keyboard model" from list (if not exactly matched, usually an approximate match seems to work ok).

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2018-10-24 22:55:41

xfmanj

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Which distro and version of Xfce are you running?

I'm running Manjaro 18.0, and XFCE 4.12.

ToZ wrote:

Which version of xfce4-settings:

The version of xfsettingsd is 4.12.4

ToZ wrote:

And what do the rights look like for the config files:

ls -l ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/

All files have the permissons '-rw-r--r--', and the owner/group is my username

#5 2018-10-24 22:57:13

xfmanj

mint4all wrote:

Greetings!

Afaik, some people have in the past experienced a problem similar to your's. In those cases, the system's "generic" keyboard layout needed a tweak so as to recognize a particular (OEM) layout. Could you look into this some more? Like this ... Wiskermenu > All Settings {button} > Hardware {section} > Keyboard {window} > Layout {tab} > uncheck "use system defaults" {option} > select "Keyboard model" from list (if not exactly matched, usually an approximate match seems to work ok).

Cheers, m4a

Use system defaults was unchecked and the keyboard model is set to "Generic-105-key PC (intl.)". Should I try something like enabling "use system defaults"? I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad with a standard american keyboard on it.

#6 2018-10-24 23:11:58

mint4all

xfmanj wrote:

... Use system defaults was unchecked and the keyboard model is set to "Generic-105-key PC (intl.)". Should I try something like enabling "use system defaults"? I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad with a standard american keyboard on it.

Thanks! If i recall correctly, "Lenovo" acquired IBM's entire line of PCs, incl. Thinkpads. Xfce's keyboard layouts show 3 IBM Thinkpad-series layout options. Sooo, I'd try one of those options (the Z-series may be the newer models, idk for sure). Laptops, like netbooks, often have custom chips to handle some of the built-in Fn-functions, and that "Generic" layout may not be able to pre-set your preferred repeat rate during your laptop's boot-phase ... Worth a try?

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#7 2018-10-25 01:48:27

xfmanj

mint4all wrote:
xfmanj wrote:

... Use system defaults was unchecked and the keyboard model is set to "Generic-105-key PC (intl.)". Should I try something like enabling "use system defaults"? I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad with a standard american keyboard on it.

Thanks! If i recall correctly, "Lenovo" acquired IBM's entire line of PCs, incl. Thinkpads. Xfce's keyboard layouts show 3 IBM Thinkpad-series layout options. Sooo, I'd try one of those options (the Z-series may be the newer models, idk for sure). Laptops, like netbooks, often have custom chips to handle some of the built-in Fn-functions, and that "Generic" layout may not be able to pre-set your preferred repeat rate during your laptop's boot-phase ... Worth a try?

Cheers, m4a

I've tried a few options, and unfortunately none seem to make a difference. Is there any other approach I could take a look at?

#8 2018-10-25 01:58:41

xfmanj

I forgot to mention, sometime it seems too that I am unable to change language after rebooting. When I attempt to change the language, it doesn't work either from the graphical switcher on my task bar (keyboard layouts panel item), nor the key combination. In order to fix this, I have to remove all languages except one, and then re-add them.

Are these problems possibly related?

Last edited by xfmanj (2018-10-25 01:59:25)

#9 2018-10-25 23:15:46

mint4all

Sorry for the delay -- i needed to look into this further before responding.

Based on a post i found  @ https://askubuntu.com/questions/140255/ … rate-limit it looks like your system boots up with the system-wide keyboard settings, instead of xfce's per-user custom settings @ ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboards.xml -- I have no idea why. I've tried to duplicate your problem on my 12yo Toshiba laptop running Mint 19.0 (derived from Ubuntu 18.04.0), but the laptop works just fine: tweaks to the repeat settings are stored properly in the .xml file, and survive reboot sequences, too -- there's no falling back to the system defaults.

You can check those defaults with the following commands:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat-interval

and

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard delay

and

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat

Now, would you please check out ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboards.xml and verify that YOUR personal tweaks are being saved by xfce in that file? Thanks.

Last edited by mint4all (2018-10-25 23:24:09)

#10 2018-10-25 23:23:41

mint4all

xfmanj wrote:

I forgot to mention, sometime it seems too that I am unable to change language after rebooting. When I attempt to change the language, it doesn't work either from the graphical switcher on my task bar (keyboard layouts panel item), nor the key combination. In order to fix this, I have to remove all languages except one, and then re-add them.

Are these problems possibly related?

Ime, these types of erratic behavior point at a lack of system resources, or a processing bottleneck of some sort. Perhaps its time to take a good look at your laptop's configuration? Please run the following command

inxi -Fxz

then post its output (via copy from the terminal window & paste into your next post). We might just find something helpful there ...

#11 2018-10-26 14:15:29

xfmanj

mint4all wrote:

Sorry for the delay -- i needed to look into this further before responding.

Based on a post i found  @ https://askubuntu.com/questions/140255/ … rate-limit it looks like your system boots up with the system-wide keyboard settings, instead of xfce's per-user custom settings @ ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboards.xml -- I have no idea why. I've tried to duplicate your problem on my 12yo Toshiba laptop running Mint 19.0 (derived from Ubuntu 18.04.0), but the laptop works just fine: tweaks to the repeat settings are stored properly in the .xml file, and survive reboot sequences, too -- there's no falling back to the system defaults.

You can check those defaults with the following commands:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat-interval

and

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard delay

and

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat

Now, would you please check out ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboards.xml and verify that YOUR personal tweaks are being saved by xfce in that file? Thanks.

The gsettings defaults seem to be what what are applied on boot (and sometimes after unlocking too it seems). The gsettings delay is 200, and the repeat is 30.

The contents of my keyboards.xml file are:

<channel name="keyboards" version="1.0">
  <property name="Default" type="empty">
    <property name="KeyRepeat" type="bool" value="true">
      <property name="Delay" type="int" value="200"/>
      <property name="Rate" type="int" value="55"/>
    </property>
    <property name="Numlock" type="bool" value="true"/>
  </property>
</channel>

My custom settings do appear to be written to the keyboards.xml file.

#12 2018-10-26 14:16:56

xfmanj

mint4all wrote:

Ime, these types of erratic behavior point at a lack of system resources, or a processing bottleneck of some sort. Perhaps its time to take a good look at your laptop's configuration? Please run the following command

inxi -Fxz

then post its output (via copy from the terminal window & paste into your next post). We might just find something helpful there ...

I would be surprised to learn my system is choking for resources, its a very recent laptop. Here is the output of the command:

System:    Host: who Kernel: 4.14.78-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: N/A Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20L70028US v: ThinkPad T480s serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 20L70028US v: SDK0J40697 WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO v: N22ET31W (1.08 ) date: 01/22/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 47.4 Wh condition: 51.6/57.0 Wh (91%) model: SMP 01AV480 status: Charging 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8650U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 33800 
           Speed: 700 MHz min/max: 400/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 700 2: 700 3: 700 4: 700 5: 700 6: 700 7: 700 8: 700 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.3 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.14.78-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: efa0 bus ID: 00:1f.6 
           IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: efa0 bus ID: 3d:00.0 
           IF: wlp61s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 151.30 GiB (31.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: MZVLB512HAJQ-000L7 size: 476.94 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 420.54 GiB used: 151.24 GiB (36.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.00 GiB used: 61.8 MiB (0.8%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 34.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 295 Uptime: 2d 12h 00m Memory: 15.42 GiB used: 4.21 GiB (27.3%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 
           Shell: zsh v: 5.6.2 inxi: 3.0.27

#13 2018-10-27 17:00:40

mint4all

Did some more research and testing...

Re. fixing your boot-time (default) keyboard repeat-rate ... I've tested this on 2 systems (my 12yo laptop & 9yo desktop) by executing the following command:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat-interval 55

It would appear that, for whatever, reasons, xfce's settings manager is being blocked from updating those settings. That's something manjaro's developers should look into.

Re. switching keyboard layouts ... I installed a 2nd language (German/German) on my laptop, then added the kbd-layout widget to my panel. No problems at all, even after repeated suspend/resume/reboot/shutdown/cold boot. Toggling between either layouts is instantaneous. Likewise, switching system-wide between either languages using the settings manager is near-instantaneous (though it pushes 100% cpu on that old single-core Intel T1350), but works consistently. Of course, i had to reboot to apply the other language system-wide. Once again, i have run out of my google-fu trying to figure what's wrong, if anything, with your xfce-configuration.

Re. your laptop config ... modern & fully capable -- no doubts about it. I am puzzled, though, that inxi doesn't report your version of manjaro, nor your version of your desktop environment. Since those settings are applied at the root environment, this could indicate that xfce was merely an added-on package, or runs side-by-side with other DEs -- impossible to tell. One tell-tale sign: you're using an older kernel that migfht not be supporting your late-model twin quad-cores (8 cpus s/b enough, right?).

So my suggestion would be: put your system through its paces using a late-version life distro (ie xubuntu 18.04.1, Mint 19, Ubuntu 18.10 etc) and see if your problems persist. Perhaps even test manjaro's latest .rc4? Sorry i can't be of more help right now ...

Cheers, m4a

Last edited by mint4all (2018-10-27 17:03:33)

Board footer