Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 07:25:47

MountainDewManiac

Thunar - Additional Columns?

The answer is probably no, but:

Is there any way to add a "track number" column to Thunar for directories which consist primarily of audio files?

The only "workaround" I can think of is to name the files by prefacing their titles with track numbers. I digitized my music collection quite some time ago and, while I often listen to a group of files in custom order, I sometimes like to hear an album all the way through as the artists (or at least the record producers roll ) originally intended them to be heard. The ability to sort by track number would be helpful in this; the past few years, I've found myself using VLC more often than not for my music player (in addition to its use as a video player).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2018-11-05 16:22:55

mint4all

Re: Thunar - Additional Columns?

Greetings! Nice to see you're posting here smile

Though not having any use for it myself, have you tried thunar's plugin for audio-/media-files? Here's the link: https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thuna … ags-plugin ... I have no idea if it is still being maintained, nor how it works, but it sounds promising. Ubuntu/Mint bundles it in the xfce4-goodies meta-package. I just looked on my LM18.3 & LM19 systems, and it is installed/available via synaptic, or apt-get.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-11-05 19:23:50

MountainDewManiac

Re: Thunar - Additional Columns?

Thanks for the suggestion - maybe it'll be useful to some. But it doesn't provide exactly what I'm looking for. I use a third-party tag editor and took care of such things when initially digitizing the files; their filenames are as I like them; and I do not require the "extended" file properties dialog.

But there was a time when it might have been useful to me so, again, I can see it being useful to someone (else) now.

I had guessed that my request was beyond the current functionality of Thunar. Which is fine, I suppose.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer