Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-26 17:54:48

mleo40

mouse cursor size changes

Hi again!

For unknown reasons my mouse cursor is fairly large but only within certain apps.

For instance if I hover my mouse over Chrome or Slack window, the cursor is comically large, but hovering over a terminal or just the desktop it's normal sized.

Also, when it is normal, it seems to take on the "theme" I've set, but when large, it is just a standard giant white mouse pointer (or hand at times).

thanks for any advise.

~Mike

#2 2018-11-26 19:30:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: mouse cursor size changes

Which distro and version of Xfce?

Do you have anything set in ~/.Xresources? Also check the Settings Editor, xsettings channel, /Gtk/CursorThemeSize value as well as the Settings Manager > Mouse and Touchpad > Theme dialog.

Is this something that just happened recently?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-11-26 19:54:55

mleo40

Linux Mint 19/Tara, xfce4 4.12

CursorThemeSize  = 16, which matches the mouse/touchpad dialog.

I just installed everything but this problem is new...possibly started when i "hid" an app from my task bar (wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b add,skip_taskbar)  ??

#4 2018-11-26 23:59:55

ToZ
Administrator

mleo40 wrote:

I just installed everything but this problem is new...possibly started when i "hid" an app from my task bar (wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b add,skip_taskbar)  ??

No that wouldn't affect the cursor size. What does the following return:

xrdb -query

...and what are the contents of ~/.gtkrc-2.0?

Can you create a secondary account on your computer and test there as well?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-11-27 14:41:00

mleo40

this is very weird:

today i rebooted and everything was fine, my mouse theme was correct (some weird blue thing I selected yesterday) but it was all normal and sized fine...just blue as requested.

I opened Chrome and Slack...all mouse activity was as you'd expect....blue and "normal" sized.

However, I wanted to switch back to the default mouse...nothing fancy, just a white normal sized mouse, so I selected the "default" them and.....weirdness:

The mouse REMAINED the blue theme while hovering over any existing window (chrome and slack) but over the desktop, the mouse went back to the "default".

I closed and reopened chrome and slack and now they, too, are white/normal.

So it seems the "window manager"(?) for chrome/slack used the previous theme until i re-opened them.

Anyway...weirdness for sure but everything is fine now.

Board footer