Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-01 13:32:18

drawson1

Missing window controls for ONE application

I'm running XFCE on top of openSUSE (Leap 15.0) - this has been my desktop for a few years.  I recently had an issue with my .config directories (had to restore some items from a backup . . . .) and now I have ONE application that has no window frame or menu button.  Note that I did NOT restore ~/.config/xfce4; I manually re-did my desktop setup.

Application is Firefox (v60.3, current for openSUSE).

The minimize/maximize/close buttons appear within Firefox's OWN tool bar (see the attached screenshot), but there's no window frame or menu button.

I did search within both my .config and firefox directories but I don't see anything that might control this . . . .

Window frame missing

Last edited by drawson1 (2018-12-01 13:35:14)

#2 2018-12-01 13:33:25

drawson1

Re: Missing window controls for ONE application

How can I add an image here?  I tried to link to an image on a Google drive folder, but it doesn't seem to work :-(  TIA - Dan

#3 2018-12-01 13:42:59

ToZ
Administrator

drawson1 wrote:

How can I add an image here?  I tried to link to an image on a Google drive folder, but it doesn't seem to work :-(  TIA - Dan

Hello and welcome.

See "Uploading an image" from https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=35498.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2018-12-01 13:48:10

ToZ
Administrator

drawson1 wrote:

The minimize/maximize/close buttons appear within Firefox's OWN tool bar (see the attached screenshot), but there's no window frame or menu button.

CSD is the new default in firefox. To go back to displaying a titlebar, go to Settings > Customize and select the "Title Bar" option.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-12-01 13:58:27

drawson1

ToZ -

Thanks!  That fixed it . . . 

Dan

Last edited by drawson1 (2018-12-01 13:59:37)

#6 2018-12-02 16:48:19

MountainDewManiac

Now that ToZ has helped you with your issue, I'd like to make a suggestion:

I no longer actively hate on "stable" distros, have stopped referring to Debian's as "Debian Old" and have even come to understand (I think) WHY such distros exist. But things like Firefox... New versions aren't just "new features and bugfixes" - they also have the latest round of security fixes/patches against whichever holes/exploits have been discovered. While it is true that linux, in general, is a more secure OS than - for example - Microsoft's brood, it appears that the assumption there is that complacency is not an issue. I don't know whether it's true, but I once read of a huge "mapping the Internet" project of some sort... that was done with computers running linux - other people's computers, if you know what I mean.

Having one's browser version be current is probably a good idea, IMHO.

drawson1 wrote:

Application is Firefox (v60.3, current for openSUSE).

Firefox v63 appeared in an OpenSuse repo 14 days ago. I don't know enough (or anything) about your distro to know if that's a "stock" repository or not, but it looks like it from its http address:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/mozilla

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2018-12-02 20:07:32

mint4all

Greetings!

As a website-owner (ret.), forum-admin (ret.) & former IT-consultant, i completely agree with Mdm's advice & observations -- keeping your browser & OS/distro current is your VERY BEST insurance {policy} against falling victim to client-side (read: invididual PCs) exploits (aside from doing stupid things).

At a very minimum, take note of the fact that EVERY webserver (including this BBS) will record/log one's IP-address(es), browser version & patch level, os-/distro-version & patch level, and some basic hardware- & cpu-info. And all that doesn't even begin to discuss what all those tracking schemes out there are attempting to do ... Yes, there are ways to anonymize all those items but that is a never-ending chore in and of itself.

Just be mindful of the fact that "Dark hats" routinely {attempt to} hijack those server logs -- or mal-formed webpages run a sleuth-script in real-time -- and then try to identify those exploit-targets that haven't been patched/updated, or are out of maintenance, or past their eol. So the best approach is to stay current and with a primary/major distro.

Cheers, m4a

Btw: did you know that most distros, Mint included, "brand" their browser packages?

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer