Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-25 06:19:36

deleted15

Unable to snap/tile Java Windows

Hey!  Merry Christmas!  I'm using the default Window Manager in XFCE4 to control my windows with my keyboard:

lVsxQ3I.png

It works great!  Even with multiple monitors!

However, when I open up jar files in java (I've tested it using tinymediamanager & RuneLite), it doesn't seem like I'm able to control them, and have them "snap" (tile?) to the corners of the screen.  The only control that seems to work is the maximize one.

Is there anything I can do about this?  I tried downgrading my java version to 8 and tinkering around with the particular application's settings, but no luck.

Any advice is appreciated!  Thank you for reading (:

#2 2018-12-25 16:55:00

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Unable to snap/tile Java Windows

Hello and welcome.

I had a look at tinymediamanager and noticed the same. Another java app that I have, JDownloader2, works properly. My screen resolution is 1366x768. I noticed that tinymediamanager cannot be resized to a size smaller than half of my resolution - making them not able to snap and resize (which resizes to half the geometry). Since JDownloader can be resized to a size smaller that half my resolution, it works properly.

Perhaps this is the issue?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-12-26 06:29:41

deleted15

Re: Unable to snap/tile Java Windows

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

I had a look at tinymediamanager and noticed the same. Another java app that I have, JDownloader2, works properly. My screen resolution is 1366x768. I noticed that tinymediamanager cannot be resized to a size smaller than half of my resolution - making them not able to snap and resize (which resizes to half the geometry). Since JDownloader can be resized to a size smaller that half my resolution, it works properly.

Perhaps this is the issue?

I think you're right!  I forgot to say, on 1920x1080 resolution monitor at home, I can tile RuneLite on the right/left sides of the monitor, but not top/bottom/any of the corners.

I tried this to no avail before, not sure if its the same issue though (Just posting in case someone else finds this thread via Google and is trying to figure it out)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ja … ly_closing

This may be out of the XFCE4 category, but do you have any suggestions on how I could try and circumvent this?  I'm not exactly interested in using a "tiling" window manager, I just like snapping the windows to the corners of my screen.  Are there flags I can use when launching a .jar file to ignore resolution limitations possibly?

Thanks for you reply (:!

Edit:
Found a solution!  I remember tiling working as I wanted with LXDE, but that was more because of Openbox:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:XFCE/Openbox

I followed these instructions, and wrote a simple shell script to run on boot:

#!/bin/bash
openbox --replace & exit

And gave it +x

chmod +x openbox_start.sh

I set it to run the script on boott via the Session & Startup GUI, then configured OpenBox to tile the Windows accordingly, and it works!  And the rest of my system is still beautiful XFCE! big_smile

Apologies if I'm formatting this wrong!  I don't think I've ever wrote a guide on how to do anything in Linux before, but I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by deleted15 (2018-12-26 10:35:01)

Board footer