Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-29 16:42:44

raffam

Clipboard does not work anymore

I have Kubuntu 18.10 and i have run `sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop` in order to try out XFCE.

At LightDM login screen I can select either a "XFCE Session" or a "Xubuntu session". I don't know or I notice the difference.

Anyway in both session the clipboard does not work anymore. If I select a text, whethever the application (Chrome, Firefox, Libreoffice), CTRL+C or right clicking and selection "Copy" from the context menu seems to do nothing.

For example, If I put the cursor in the place where I want to paste my content, CTRL+V does nothing and by right-clicking the "Paste" option is greyed out.

Since the "Paste" option is greyed out, I think the problem lies in the copy phase.

For me this is a big problem.

Last edited by raffam (2018-12-29 16:43:08)

#2 2018-12-29 17:40:06

mint4all

Re: Clipboard does not work anymore

Greetings!

Am i correct to assume that your clipboard works ok when logged into your KDE session?

That would indicate that, even though you're running the XFCE desktop, it looks like your KDE (Plasma) desktop still "owns" the underlying clipboard function. Therefore, to activate xfce's own clipboard functions, just check your desktop settings: Menu > Settings > System {category} > Session and Startup {section} > Application autostart {tab} > {click on} Clipman {option}.

Then logout (without "saving" your session) -- it would be best to reboot, imho -- and login again. Now, check the clipboard functions. Note: unless you have added the clipboard applet to your xfce-panel, the source of your copy operation must stay open until the paste operation is finished.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-12-29 21:00:26

raffam

Hi mint4all

Am i correct to assume that your clipboard works ok when logged into your KDE session?

Yes that is correct

to activate xfce's own clipboard functions, just check your desktop settings: Menu > Settings > System {category} > Session and Startup {section} > Application autostart {tab} > {click on} Clipman {option}.

There is no "Clipman" option, but there is a "GNOME Settings Daemon's clipboard plugin" option. Is that the same?

#4 2018-12-29 21:11:46

raffam

Hi again, so

1. Activating the autostart of "GNOME Settings Daemon's clipboard plugin" worked. After logging out and logging in, copy and paste started to work. Apparently also closing the application from which I copied before I paste worked

2. There were no "clipman" autostart option nor any "clipman" widget for the panel

3. I installed the packages "xfce4-clipman-plugin" and "xfce4-goodies"

4. After logging out and logging in, I now have a "clipman" option in "Menu > Settings > System {category} > Session and Startup {section} > Application autostart" and a clipman widget for the panel

5. I just added the clipman widget in the panel without activating clipman at the autostart. It works nevertheless. Maybe is it using the "GNOME Settings Daemon's clipboard plugin" instead of clipman? Do I need to autostart both this GNOME daemon and the clipman service?

Thanks very much for your help

Last edited by raffam (2018-12-29 21:12:37)

#5 2018-12-29 21:44:56

mint4all

raffam wrote:

... 5. I just added the clipman widget in the panel without activating clipman at the autostart. It works nevertheless. Maybe is it using the "GNOME Settings Daemon's clipboard plugin" instead of clipman? Do I need to autostart both this GNOME daemon and the clipman service?

Thanks very much for your help

Glad that this works for you ... Afaik, that gnome-plugin is not being used by xfce. Moreover, make sure that in xfce's "Advanced" {session and startup services} tab, the options to launch gnome and/or kde services should not be activated UNLESS you run same native gnome- or kde-apps that rely on those "services" running in the background.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer