Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-03 03:34:15

Skaperen

How can i have each terminal in its own process?

how can i have each instance of xfce4-terminal run in its own unique process?  or is there a way to have each instance of xfce4-terminal run with a different font size or color or any other preferences setting based on unique saved configurations that can be referenced by some name, such as a profile ID?

#2 2019-01-03 14:15:10

CwF

Re: How can i have each terminal in its own process?

I've had this desire, so I'm listening!
Your wording makes me wonder if some other process needs to talk to, send results to, or in some way distinguish from multiple terminals without being started from that terminal?

Otherwise, you can create launchers with the uniqueness of the terminal defined in the command line of the launcher. Is that enough? I would like to add unique bash histories to different terminals, is that inline with your thinking? I forgot I wanted that!

So far I use xterm with command line options launched from verve. Verve has it's own editable history, instead of individual launchers.

#3 2019-01-03 16:13:38

Jerry3904

Not sure I understand, but will this do what you want?

$ xfce4-terminal && xfce4-terminal

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#4 2019-01-03 16:37:43

Skaperen

Jerry3904 wrote:

Not sure I understand, but will this do what you want?

$ xfce4-terminal && xfce4-terminal

no.

many programs, such as web browsers and terminal emulators, get started as separate processes, but make contact with the existing process and pass the specifics of the command.  that separate process, usually the process from the first command, then runs the operation of the new window, and all the others.  the process created by the 2nd and later invocations, then exits and goes away.

in the past i have performed "trick" to fool firefox into not doing it.  the trick i did then was to make i think it was a different user by faking the USER environment variable (and a couple others i cannot remember).  firefox actually has an option to turn this feature off.

some other programs have an option like that.  i cannot see any for xfce4-terminal.  i don't know that it can even be turned off for xfce4-terminal, so i might need to look for a way to trick it.

the whole purpose is to create the effect of different profiles where each has its own unique config file.  even separate processes might try to shsre a common config file and this could corrupt it.

#5 2019-01-03 17:09:48

CwF

Typically used for root, both sudo and pkexec have ways to run as another non-root user also. So with another user, and resulting home directories and setting, you could invoke the commands as another user, using those settings.
...maybe

#6 2019-01-03 19:25:13

Misko_2083
Website

Try --disable-server

xfce4-terminal --disable-server -e "man xfce4-terminal"

In thebash  script you would do something like this

#!/bin/bash

function do_something() {
COUNTER=0
while [  $COUNTER -lt 10 ]; do
     echo The counter is $COUNTER
     let COUNTER=COUNTER+1 
     sleep 1
done
}
export -f do_something

xfce4-terminal --disable-server -e "bash -c do_something"

Do you want to exit the Circus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwQicZHp_c

#7 2019-01-04 00:16:26

Skaperen

Misko_2083 wrote:

Try --disable-server

that worked.  thanks!

Board footer