Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-02 23:01:05

dowx

Deadzones on the edges of panel buttons

Hi,
When I move mouse to the edge of button (for example top of the screen or left end of the screen if button is the first to the left on panel) very often the button doesn't become highlighted. So when I click in this position there's no reaction. It's very annoying. I wonder if this is already known bug or something I can fix on my won.

I'm not sure if my description is clear - I tried to take screenshots, but the xfce4-screenshot is also bugged and can't take a picture with mouse pointer included... Damn Xubuntu 18.10 big_smile

#2 2019-01-03 00:11:04

mint4all

Re: Deadzones on the edges of panel buttons

Greetings!

In order to assist you, there are  few things we need to know:

1) what "Appearance" theme are you using (Menu > Settings >Appearance {category} > Appearance {popup} > Style {tab}? and ...
2) what "Icons" theme are you using (Menu > Settings >Appearance {category} > Appearance {popup} > Icons {tab}?
3) have you "moved" your panel from xubuntu's original position  to another location (ie top / left /right)?
4) if you have moved your panel, did you "unlock" the panel then or is it un-"locked" now? (Panel > right click > Panel preferences {tooltip option} > Display {tab} > "lock panel" check box on/off}?
5) what "row size" (pixels) does your panel use?

I am asking this because there could be a combination of factors that might -- in combination -- be the cause of those "dead zones" you're describing.

Thanks.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2019-01-03 00:11:56

ToZ
Administrator

Is this just for the Window Buttons plugin (tasklist) and the Greybird theme? If so, it's a theme issue. Greybird recently fixed it with https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greyb … 70a021932d.

Does adding the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css help?

.tasklist button { margin: 0px }

Edit: sorry, ninja'd by mint4all.

Last edited by ToZ (2019-01-03 00:12:40)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2019-01-03 09:36:12

dowx

mint4all wrote:

Greetings!

In order to assist you, there are  few things we need to know:

1) what "Appearance" theme are you using (Menu > Settings >Appearance {category} > Appearance {popup} > Style {tab}? and ...
2) what "Icons" theme are you using (Menu > Settings >Appearance {category} > Appearance {popup} > Icons {tab}?
3) have you "moved" your panel from xubuntu's original position  to another location (ie top / left /right)?
4) if you have moved your panel, did you "unlock" the panel then or is it un-"locked" now? (Panel > right click > Panel preferences {tooltip option} > Display {tab} > "lock panel" check box on/off}?
5) what "row size" (pixels) does your panel use?

I am asking this because there could be a combination of factors that might -- in combination -- be the cause of those "dead zones" you're describing.

Thanks.

Cheers, m4a

I use Breeze-Dark and Papirus-Dark icons.
But it works this way in every theme, no matter if the panel is locked or not and what size it is. It works this way also in freshly created user account. Changing nouveau and nvidia driver doesn't help too.

What I noticed: only top and left edge is broken. Bottom edge and right edge works properly.
I don't know if this is related, but when I add icons to launchers they are not centered, just like I described in other topic's post:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=50875#p50875

ToZ wrote:

Is this just for the Window Buttons plugin (tasklist) and the Greybird theme? If so, it's a theme issue. Greybird recently fixed it with https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greyb … 70a021932d.

Does adding the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css help?

.tasklist button { margin: 0px }

Doesn't help.

It's every button on the panel, Whisker menu, lauchers too.

Last edited by dowx (2019-01-03 09:37:19)

#5 2019-01-03 12:02:53

ToZ
Administrator

I think it's that gtk.css snippet I gave you a while back to offset the launchers that I gave you that is doing this. Can you post back the full contents of your ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2019-01-03 12:06:18

dowx

ToZ wrote:

I think it's that gtk.css snippet I gave you a while back to offset the launchers that I gave you that is doing this. Can you post back the full contents of your ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file?

No, I already tested it with empty gtk.css. As I said - it's the problem in new clean user account too.

Last edited by dowx (2019-01-03 12:07:42)

#7 2019-01-03 14:08:46

ToZ
Administrator

Are you using the breeze-gtk-theme from the repositories? I've installed and tested that one here and I'm not seeing the same issues as you are (outside of the issue with the launcher margins not clickable).

BTW, if you set the panel Row Size to an even number, the icon is automatically centered on the button widget. It seems that odd values result in the shift - which make sense.

Is the panel right at the top?

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep position

#8 2019-01-03 22:00:20

dowx

It's the same in every theme, but yes, it's the repositories version of Breeze.

/panels/panel-2/position                      p=6;x=800;y=15
/panels/panel-2/position-locked               true

Is it the center of panel coordinates? My resolution is 1600x1200. The row size is 29, changing it doesn't help.

Last edited by dowx (2019-01-03 22:04:55)

#9 2019-01-03 23:00:07

dowx

This is Xubuntu 18.10 bug. I've just tested it on my second computer - the same problem exist on clean Live USB, no modifications at all.

Anyway, this is very annoying, so any suggestions how to fix it will be appreciated, because I've lost (too) much time configuring this system wink The number of bugs revealed in this time is just hilarious. I guess I'm just spoiled by sitting at LTS distro for over 6 years big_smile

#10 2019-01-03 23:52:14

ToZ
Administrator

The '6' is a position on the panel. See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=47958#p47958 for more info. In the case of position 6, the x & y values are ignored.

According to this commit, the fix to this issue was two-pronged. The second fix was just released in the new version of xfce4-panel. I wonder if you are affected by this? My version of 18.10 isn't, but I'm not using an nvidia video card.

Edit: Trying testing with the Greybird theme from it's git tree.

Last edited by ToZ (2019-01-03 23:54:48)

#11 2019-01-04 08:01:39

dowx

ToZ wrote:

The '6' is a position on the panel. See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=47958#p47958 for more info. In the case of position 6, the x & y values are ignored.

Is there a simple way to set it '0' and hide 1 pixel behind top edge of the screen? Maybe this would help.

ToZ wrote:

According to this commit, the fix to this issue was two-pronged. The second fix was just released in the new version of xfce4-panel. I wonder if you are affected by this? My version of 18.10 isn't, but I'm not using an nvidia video card.

Did you use clean installatation of 18.10 or upgraded from pervious version? It's not nvidia problem, my second computer has intel igpu.

I just can't understand how any team could release any distro with bugs like this. So many things broken and visible, that you just can't stop thinking how many more is invisible for you under the hood, and now you need to go online banking with this... big_smile

#12 2019-01-04 12:00:07

ToZ
Administrator

dowx wrote:
ToZ wrote:

Is there a simple way to set it '0' and hide 1 pixel behind top edge of the screen? Maybe this would help.

I'll have a look.

ToZ wrote:

Did you use clean installatation of 18.10 or upgraded from pervious version?

Clean install.

It's not nvidia problem, my second computer has intel igpu.

Hmmm.

I just can't understand how any team could release any distro with bugs like this. So many things broken and visible, that you just can't stop thinking how many more is invisible for you under the hood, and now you need to go online banking with this... big_smile

Whats interesting is that I don't have this issue on my Xubuntu 18.10 machine (other than the tasklist problem which is fixed with the margin tweak or using the git version of the Greybird theme). In fact, even the breeze theme works fine.

Can you try one more ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css tweak?

.xfce4-panel.background button {
   margin: 0px;
   padding: 0px;
}

...and restart the panel "xfce4-panel -r".

#13 2019-01-04 12:24:24

dowx

ToZ wrote:
dowx wrote:
ToZ wrote:

I'll have a look.

ToZ wrote:

Did you use clean installatation of 18.10 or upgraded from pervious version?

Clean install.

Completely fresh /home partition after installation?

ToZ wrote:

}

This command gives me no panels at all, another bug? wink After relogin nothing changed.

#14 2019-01-04 16:57:50

ToZ
Administrator

dowx wrote:

Completely fresh /home partition after installation?

Yes, fresh new install.

This command gives me no panels at all, another bug? wink After relogin nothing changed.

That is odd. Is it the only content in the file? Can you post the full contents of the file?

Also, can you provide me with your panel configurations and I'll try to re-create your layout here:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv

#15 2019-01-04 22:14:59

dowx

ToZ wrote:

}

I left only this in file, now works. But doesn't help with the bug.

I think the only way to fix this would be to force the panel to move behind screen edge.

#16 2019-01-05 04:15:49

ToZ
Administrator

dowx wrote:

I think the only way to fix this would be to force the panel to move behind screen edge.

Sorry but I can't find a way to do this.

Board footer