Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-05 16:57:23

atorrante

share folders on the network

A lot of time I used XFCE but I left it and it happened to Mate, because Caja has a box-share plugin that is very useful, it allows to share folders in a LAN network, almost immediately. I was reading that Thunar has thunar-share-plugin but it does not work. Cinnamon also has a nemo-share, I do not understand why XFCE with thunar does not have an equal plugin, it should not be very difficult to perform, for you to develop XFCE.

#2 2019-01-05 18:57:13

ToZ

Re: share folders on the network

Hello and welcome.

atorrante wrote:

I was reading that Thunar has thunar-share-plugin but it does not work.

What exactly do you mean by "it does not work"? Have you seen/followed the setup instructions?

#3 2019-01-05 22:47:31

atorrante

yes, i followed the instructions, and in linux mint it does not work and in xubuntu it does not work. I have seen other options in emmabuntus linux that work, but it does not use thunar-share-plugin. At the moment I'm still with Mate, it's not the desktop that I like the most but it's very practical and useful. I have it installed in my office, in 8 pc.

Last edited by atorrante (2019-01-05 22:48:33)

#4 2019-01-05 22:54:50

atorrante

In the Ubuntu forum, I found these options to add to thunar's custom options, they are the same as Emmabuntus Linux (XFCE) uses:

Safe (ish) read-only share:

Name: Share (RO)
     Description: Share Directory with Samba (Read Only)
     Command: net usershare add% n% f "" Everyone: R guest_ok = y && chmod 775% f && gvfs-set-attribute% f -t stringv metadata :: emblems emblem-web
     Appears if selection contains: Directories

Risk (ier) read-write share:

Name: Share (RW)
     Description: Share Directory with Samba (Read Only)
     Command: net usershare add% n% f "" Everyone: F guest_ok = y && chmod 777% f && gvfs-set-attribute% f -t stringv metadata :: emblems emblem-web

To cancel any of the above shares:

Name: UnShare
     Description: End sharing of this Directory with Samba
     Command: net usershare delete% n && gvfs-set-attribute% f -t stringv metadata :: emblems none

You just have to have samba, samba-client installed and add the USER to the samba-share group, just like that

Last edited by atorrante (2019-01-05 23:04:44)

#5 2019-01-05 23:05:27

ToZ

I just had a look at xubuntu and ubuntu doesn't seem to package the thunar-shares-plugin - which will make following those instructions impossible to work. I'm not sure why ubuntu is not packaging it - that is something you will need to take up with the distro.

The custom actions you found are the only way it will work on those distros.

#6 2019-01-05 23:19:40

atorrante

thanks toz

Board footer