Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-05 16:57:23

atorrante

share folders on the network

A lot of time I used XFCE but I left it and it happened to Mate, because Caja has a box-share plugin that is very useful, it allows to share folders in a LAN network, almost immediately. I was reading that Thunar has thunar-share-plugin but it does not work. Cinnamon also has a nemo-share, I do not understand why XFCE with thunar does not have an equal plugin, it should not be very difficult to perform, for you to develop XFCE.

#2 2019-01-05 18:57:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: share folders on the network

Hello and welcome.

atorrante wrote:

I was reading that Thunar has thunar-share-plugin but it does not work.

What exactly do you mean by "it does not work"? Have you seen/followed the setup instructions?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-01-05 22:47:31

atorrante

yes, i followed the instructions, and in linux mint it does not work and in xubuntu it does not work. I have seen other options in emmabuntus linux that work, but it does not use thunar-share-plugin. At the moment I'm still with Mate, it's not the desktop that I like the most but it's very practical and useful. I have it installed in my office, in 8 pc.

Last edited by atorrante (2019-01-05 22:48:33)

#4 2019-01-05 22:54:50

atorrante

In the Ubuntu forum, I found these options to add to thunar's custom options, they are the same as Emmabuntus Linux (XFCE) uses:

Safe (ish) read-only share:

Name: Share (RO)
     Description: Share Directory with Samba (Read Only)
     Command: net usershare add% n% f "" Everyone: R guest_ok = y && chmod 775% f && gvfs-set-attribute% f -t stringv metadata :: emblems emblem-web
     Appears if selection contains: Directories

Risk (ier) read-write share:

Name: Share (RW)
     Description: Share Directory with Samba (Read Only)
     Command: net usershare add% n% f "" Everyone: F guest_ok = y && chmod 777% f && gvfs-set-attribute% f -t stringv metadata :: emblems emblem-web

To cancel any of the above shares:

Name: UnShare
     Description: End sharing of this Directory with Samba
     Command: net usershare delete% n && gvfs-set-attribute% f -t stringv metadata :: emblems none

You just have to have samba, samba-client installed and add the USER to the samba-share group, just like that

Last edited by atorrante (2019-01-05 23:04:44)

#5 2019-01-05 23:05:27

ToZ
Administrator

I just had a look at xubuntu and ubuntu doesn't seem to package the thunar-shares-plugin - which will make following those instructions impossible to work. I'm not sure why ubuntu is not packaging it - that is something you will need to take up with the distro.

The custom actions you found are the only way it will work on those distros.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2019-01-05 23:19:40

atorrante

thanks toz

Board footer