Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-08 19:57:15

Skaperen

what i want for a user switcher

i would like to have, or make, a user switcher like described below.  maybe some existing things do something similar.

it would have a group of buttons on the panel much like the workspace switcher, plus a drop down menu.  the buttons on the panel would be a configurable subset of users, like the frequently worked on users.  the drop down menu would have all users, possibly with the more often switched-to users near the top for easier access, and submenus when the number of users is large.

to do that i would need to know how to interface to the panel as a plugin, and be listed as an addable item.  then i would need to be able to implement the menu an have it do the dm-tool switch-to-user or equivalent.  i want to code this in Python3, but could code it in C or Pike, if necessary.

i would like to be sure its configuration is stored in a text file of some format.

#2 2019-01-08 23:03:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: what i want for a user switcher

Skaperen wrote:

to do that i would need to know how to interface to the panel as a plugin, and be listed as an addable item.  then i would need to be able to implement the menu an have it do the dm-tool switch-to-user or equivalent.  i want to code this in Python3, but could code it in C or Pike, if necessary.

See: https://wiki.xfce.org/start?id=dev/howto/panel_plugins and the sample panel plugin code. You can also peek into the code of other panel plugins to see how it is done. Most panel plugins are coded in C.

The other option, as I had mentioned in another thread, was to use yad.

It can make the development easier and quicker.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-01-09 15:24:23

Skaperen

Re: what i want for a user switcher

for things in C, one of the first steps i want to address is what i need to have to reproduce the build system and how to fake enough installation to do testing.  once i can build original source out of my repo system and run it, then i am ready to step forward.  this is the big dislike i have for C, that so many people do this differently (as do i) and assume everyone else does it the same way they do it.  to me, the coding is the easy part.

Board footer