Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-10 19:15:33

tpape

Make default menu... default

Hello there !
I'm working on a xfce "template" in the school i'm working on, and after few hour spend on this issue I finally decided to ask...
So, I set up my "default" app menu and I want to make it default, for all users.
Can you help me ?

This is the correct menu :
correct menu

And this is what I get after login with another account :
Other menu

PS : On the correct menu, I can't get rid of the "No application found" on the lowest line, do you have any about why is it here and how I can remove it ?

Many thanks !
Thomas

#2 2019-01-10 21:21:58

ToZ

Re: Make default menu... default

Hello and welcome.

The default menu is located in /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu. When you edit a menu, it creates a copy in your $HOME/.config/menus directory and edits that one. If you want your changes to take effect for everyone, you'll need to copy your edited menu to /etc/xdg/menus (and make sure no-one is using a custom menu).  Also, depending on what changes you made to the menu, you may need to copy over some other files.

PS : On the correct menu, I can't get rid of the "No application found" on the lowest line, do you have any about why is it here and how I can remove it ?

You will have to post your $HOME/.confg/menus/xfce-applications.menu file so that we can have a look and see.

#3 2019-01-15 12:49:10

tpape

Thanks for your answer.

So, I tried to change my two menu files (/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu and ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu) with a default one (unchanged since a clean install) and the menu still has my modifications. How is it possible ? I can't find in which file are stored the user's modifications...

#4 2019-01-15 12:52:47

tpape

And here is my xfce-applications.menu :

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">

<Menu>
    <Name>Xfce</Name>

<DefaultAppDirs/>
    <DefaultDirectoryDirs/>

<Menu>
        <Name>Accessories</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-accessories.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Utility</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

<Menu>
        <Name>Development</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-development.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Development</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

<Menu>
        <Name>Games</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-games.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Game</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

<Menu>
        <Name>Network</Name>
        <Directory>xfce-network.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Network</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

</Menu>

Last edited by tpape (2019-01-15 13:14:49)

#5 2019-01-15 23:33:18

ToZ

Your menu file works fine here when copied to a user account:
menu.png

How did you or what tool did you use to change your menu file? There may be other content in the ~/.config/menus folder that is being used. What does the following return:

ls -al ~/.config/menus

As for making it the default template for all users, it depends on your distro. Most distros use /etc/xdg. Some, like Xubuntu, use /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu. For normal distros, to make it the default for all users, you must:

• replace the xfce-applications.menu file in /etc/xdg/menus with your custom version

• all of .desktop files ( in ~/.local/share/applications or ~/.config/menus/applications-merged) that were used to create this menu must also be moved to a central location (usually /usr/share/applications)

• for new users, this menu will be used

• for existing users, you must delete any existing content in ~/.config/menus so that it doesn't override it

Reference documentation located here: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ … c-1.0.html

#6 Today 13:43:48

tpape

All right, after mixing everything i succeed to have a default menu working for everybody. I put my files on /etc/xdg/xfce4 so they are now the default files for new users.
But I have a new problem, with the panels this time. I will post it here but maybe I should open a new thread ?

I customize a panel, add few launchers.
First I try to copy my ~/.config/xfce4 files to every new users by using a script I put in /etc/profile, but it seems only to work when the user login by a terminal, and not a X session. Except this issue, it worked.
Then I moved the file to /etc/xdg/xfce4 so they will be loaded as default xfce session for new users. But now I have a big issue : the panel looks great, but all the launchers are 'empty'.
I tried few things and I figured out that the file used to configure the launchers is .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml but the behaviour is pretty disturbing : when I update my panel (by adding a launcher), this file is updated with the new launcher, but when I manually edit this file (by replacing it with an older version), the launcher is still visible on my panel (even after a logout/login).
I also saw that the actual configuration for launchers is located on ~/.config/xfce4/panel...

Do you have any idea about that ?

Last edited by tpape (Today 13:54:44)

Board footer