Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-24 02:36:16

Skaperen

i'm looking for a wider or shorter sans serif font

i'm looking for a wider or shorter sans serif font for xfce4-terminal that might get me more rows.  i don't need more columns so i don't need a narrow font.

#2 2019-01-24 14:14:57

sh4tr

Re: i'm looking for a wider or shorter sans serif font

dejavu is wide, liberation is narrow/er

Last edited by sh4tr (2019-01-24 14:15:12)

#3 2019-01-24 23:21:37

Skaperen

i'm already using Deja Vu in the terminal.  i'm looking for something more than that.  right now i have Deja Vu Sans Mono Book 14 at 172x46 on a 1920x1080 display.  it nearly fills the screen but leaves enough space at the right and bottom fo me to put some other window where it can be touched there instead of the button in the panel.  i get 46 rows and 1 pixel shorter per row could get me to 48 rows or maybe even 50. while still being able to get two terminal side-by-side (in another workspace) using 80 columns and more rows (now 46 there, too).

#4 2019-01-25 00:05:55

Skaperen

i'm trying understand how to separate the configurations of different terminal windows with xfce4-terminal.  i have been using the --disable-server option on the xfce4-terminal command line, which does get me separate processes.  but i just did a test.  i change the size from 14 to 13 on one window and it still changed the size on all the others.  that's not what i want to be happening.  but xfce4-terminal does not support configuration profiles.  i noticed that the config file got updated, so maybe the others were watching it for a change.  i copied the config file and changed the "14" to "12" (even smaller this time) then moved the edited on to instantly (atomically) replace the original and it change all terminal instances to even smaller.  it looks like what i need to do is run the terminal with a different config file path.

what i would like to do is run the big terminals at 188x50 with Deja Vu Sans Mono Book 13 and the two side-by-side 80-column terminals at 80x46 with Deja Vu Sans Mono Book 14.  they almost fit two side-by-side with Deja Vu Sans Mono Book 15 but not quite.  i probably should work around with that and see what i can do to get them to fit.  maybe hanging them a couple pixels off the edge, left an right.  it's that close.  and now i wonder what font size will let m run three side-by-side.

#5 2019-01-25 01:54:58

Skaperen

i changed the permissions of the config file from 664 (-rw-rw-r--) to 444 (-r--r--r--) then changed the size in one window and all the others changed to that.  the config file was also modified, even with the read-only permissions.  my guess is that the process making the change wrote a temporary file and moved it.  the permissions are back to 664 (-rw-rw-r--).  the inode number changed so that is probably how it was done.

i changed environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME to point to where i made a copy of ~/.config/xfce4 (so that "xfce4" is there) with a modified xfce4/terminal/terminalrc and it used the modifications.  i then changed things in that terminal and it saved then in the copy it read in.  time to go do some scripting and make some new launchers.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-01-25 02:00:19)

#6 2019-01-25 03:34:06

Skaperen

turns out xfce4 will not let me locate a window that is hanging over the edge.  unity did let me do that.

#7 2019-01-26 00:16:46

mint4all

Skaperen wrote:

turns out xfce4 will not let me locate a window that is hanging over the edge.  unity did let me do that.

Have you considered using "gnome-terminal" instead of xfce4-treminal (which itself was forked off gnome's)? Per this man page @ http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bio … nal.1.html is does support per-window, and even per-tab, profiles. Of course, there's possibly an issue with pulling in unwanted/needless dependencies, but worth looking into imho.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer