Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-26 04:55:32

goosesensor

Editable menu accelerators not wroking

I used Xubuntu for a long time but somewhat recently switched to Arch (highly recommended if you haven't given it a shot).

One thing I've noticed about every Arch/XFCE machine I have is that for some reason editable accelerators don't work.  Yes, they are enabled in the "Appearance" settings.

I've been able to add a few by editing the the appropriate accels.scm, however without the commented out templates for every action I'm stuck on quite a few things I'd like to add keyboard shortcuts for.  Most are in Thunar.  Examples:

- Open (selected item in Thunar)
    - Rename (selected item in Thunar)
    - Open in New Window (selected item in Thunar)

I've searched around but nobody else seems to have this issue.  Ideas?

Last edited by goosesensor (2019-01-26 04:56:43)

#2 2019-01-26 06:20:22

ozjd
Website

Re: Editable menu accelerators not wroking

GTK3 removed the editable accelerators. However you can edit them manually by going to e.g. ~/.config/Thunar/accels.scm

#3 2019-01-26 19:08:35

goosesensor

That’s too bad.  Isn’t Thunar in 4.12 GTK 2?

#4 2019-01-26 21:03:43

ozjd
Website

goosesensor wrote:

That’s too bad.  Isn’t Thunar in 4.12 GTK 2?

Depends on the version of Thunar. 4.12 used both gtk2 and gtk3

#5 2019-01-26 22:53:22

goosesensor

Thanks for the info.

#6 2019-01-27 08:26:36

MountainDewManiac

One thing that can be said about those GTK3 developers, lol: They're real consistent at offering a free migraine with every new version of their code roll .

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2019-01-27 09:49:37

sh4tr

what's an accelerator?

#8 2019-01-27 13:49:02

ToZ
Administrator

Basically, a menu shortcut key. For more info, see: https://docs.xfce.org/faq#keyboard_related.

With GTK2, if enabled (Settings Manager > Appearance > Settings), you could hover your mouse over a menu item and re-bind the shortcut key (backspace to delete existing, or press shortcut key to enable). It was a neat feature of GTK2.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#9 2019-01-29 20:25:22

ceilingzebra

also the underlined menu shortcuts (visible main menu) are gone with the gtk3 thunar (1.8.x) and with all other gtk3 apps in xfce. the underlined letters appear after an annoying break (with some programs). - or is there a way to get them back permanently visible? - when you look at gnome you see that this gui-design-element is made for gnome, i think.

doesn't this go against the philosophy of simplicity and accessibility of xfce? also since thunar 1.8.x the even-odd-background highlighted lines in the detail view are gone. - aren't the programmers of xfce interested in keeping xfce open and simple and couldn't they try to make the gtk3-gnome-programmers place these features back or keep them?

#10 2019-01-29 23:42:52

MountainDewManiac

ceilingzebra wrote:

couldn't they try to make the gtk3-gnome-programmers place these features back or keep them?

ROTFLMFAO, no. Well, sure, they could try...

They could have stuck with GTK2 only, which would have made a lot of people (including me) happy. BUT I expect that there'll be a point when the developers stop updating GTK2, so that would have been a temporary solution. And it turns out that a lot of folks appreciate the features(?) present in GTK3 enough to put up with its sadistic developers.

They could switch Xfce over to using Qt instead of GTK - but that would be a mountain of work (or perhaps a mountain range of work) for no real benefit other than to make some people happy, some people angry, and most people... well, no change I suppose. A non-starter, since the Xfce development team is small, unpaid, and has enough on their plate already to keep them occupied through 2040, lol.

They could switch back to the Xforms toolkit that Xfce originally used. But that would be even more work than the Qt option, since there hasn't even been a stable release of Xforms in the past five years (so, first, they'd have to find someone willing to develop/maintain the thing). Another non-starter.

Or they could create their own toolkit from scratch. Obviously a non-starter, for the obvious reasons.

Welcome to the frustration of GTK3.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#11 2019-01-30 00:02:28

ToZ
Administrator

To add to MDM's response, feel free to open a bug report or start a discussion on the xfce4-dev mailing list if you want to engage with the Xfce developers to get their thoughts and opinions.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#12 2020-02-18 13:51:05

undefman

ozjd wrote:

GTK3 removed the editable accelerators. However you can edit them manually by going to e.g. ~/.config/Thunar/accels.scm

Since the accels file is an automated accelerator map dump, I would lock it down after editing by using this command: chattr +i ~/.config/Thunar/accels.scm
To undo that, simply type: chattr -i ~/.config/Thunar/accels.scm

Cheer,

Board footer