Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-30 01:28:59

Skaperen

what are these application shortcuts?

in Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts the are a few shortcut entries that begin with "XF86".  what are these and how are they typed in?

#2 2019-01-30 10:24:22

MountainDewManiac

Re: what are these application shortcuts?

Some keyboards and laptops have extra keys/buttons. One example might be volume up/down/mute buttons. See:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/XF8 … rd_symbols

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2019-01-30 20:46:21

Skaperen

i don't have any of those extra keys so i probably can ignore those.

#4 2019-01-30 20:58:43

Skaperen

the keys i have near the space key:

Shift                                                                                                      Shift
Ctrl  Fn  Ubuntu Alt [--------------SPACE BAR-----------------] Alt Prefs Ctrl

the "Ubuntu" key has the symbol of 3 people holding hands.  the "Prefs" key has the symbol of 3 short horizontal lines in a box.  i don't know how these keys might be programmed or combined.

#5 2019-01-30 21:14:20

Skaperen

i tried to program those keys to see what they call them.  the "Ubuntu" key is called "Super". the "Prefs" apparently does nothing recognizws.

#6 2019-01-30 21:24:58

Skaperen

i tried that key i called "Prefs" in the "xev" program and called it "Menu".  it would be nice if i could use it in keyboard shortcuts,  this laptop is a System 76 model Kudu Pro from 2014.  i have 2 of these.

#7 2019-01-30 22:11:18

MountainDewManiac

Skaperen wrote:

the "Ubuntu" key is called "Super"

Yeah, it's often referred to as the "Windows" key, because it generally has a symbol for Microsoft Windows, and was originally used to open that OS' "start" menu. Defaults to doing the same thing in every linux OS / desktop environment I've used in the past... Hmm. Well, nearly 20 years, at least (opens the "main" applications menu, e.g., Whisker in Xfce). I used to place a "linux penguin" sticker on mine.

Skaperen wrote:

the "Prefs" apparently does nothing recognizws.

Odd. It produces a context-sensitive menu on mine. Try pressing it while Firefox or Mousepad is running (and on top, active). If that doesn't do anything, try holding down the Fn key while doing so; perhaps yours requires the modifier (or another key or key combo has "toggled" the operation of that one, and would have to be reversed before it'll work without the modifier key).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#8 2019-01-31 00:08:35

Skaperen

the Menu key does bring up a menu on Firefox.  so it must be getting passed on to the application.  there are a lot of cases of keyboard shortcuts with Super+... so it apparently defaults to being a modifier.  but nothing is configured in keyboard shortcuts with Menu.  the Super key by itself does nothing with Firefox or xfce4-terminal active.  maybe it would do things in conjunction with other keys in these and/or other apps.

do you know if there is a way to have certain keypresses produce specific alternate input (besides a kernel hack)?

#9 2019-01-31 00:12:08

MountainDewManiac

I don't, no; I'm just reasonably proficient at performing keyword-based web searches, lol. But ToZ or one of the other gurus might.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer