Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-03 00:56:27

Skaperen

[Solved] How do i launch a script at login time?

i want to launch a particular script at login time.  i plan to do this for 3 specific users, one of which will run xfce4-terminal with a specific environment variable set to a specific value that its .bashrc file uses.

see answer in next post.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-02-03 20:13:58)

#2 2019-02-03 20:12:27

Skaperen

Re: [Solved] How do i launch a script at login time?

i asked this question here because when i googled for this i found TWO different answers and so i was hoping to find which was correct.  there being no answer for a while i decided to test the two possible answers i had found.  i set up BOTH methods to write to two different filenames (in /tmp) then logged that user out and logged back in.  when i looked for the files i found that BOTH had been written.  it turns out that BOTH methods work.  i did not do any timing tests or any further testing to see which runs first or when they run.  the two methods involve creating a directory named ~/Desktop/Autostart/ and/or ~/.config/autostart/ then creating a .desktop file which has all (or some of, or maybe none of) the typical/standard stuff and Exec= which has the command you want to have run automatically at login time.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-02-03 20:16:40)

#3 2019-02-05 19:23:40

Skaperen

Re: [Solved] How do i launch a script at login time?

i discovered that it is the ~/.config/autostart/ method that is the correct way to do it.  the other method is depricated but works by migrating the .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart/ and leaving a .txt message file in ~/Desktop/Autostart/ to describe the situation.

Board footer