Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-04 17:49:30

addeps3

Too un-intuitive panel-settings

Hi slightly irritated readers!

My *intended* constructive criticism is of the un-intuitive path for finding the item-setting, in order to stop (in my case) bottom panel from grouping items together.

My needs:

where to have xfce panel not to group items together. Very simple task.

The search or path taken in order to find those settings was not so intuitive. For example: one is predisposed to have a look at 'Panel preferences'. Well, its certainly not there, so maybe have a look at 'Properties' in the context menu. Not there either. By having some grit and from previous set-ups remembering that the disable-grouping setting indeed is somewhere among those menus I was destined to sit there and just think about it. Not what I like to do big_smile

Finally I have a look at "Window Buttons" and am able to configure my xfce finally there, ta-da!

My question: wouldn't it be easier to make those settings more easily available for the somewhat rare occurence of setting up ones xfce to your liking?

Isn't it more convenient to put those settings at the new or infrequent users fingertips?

Thank you, and thanks for welcoming me to the forum wink

Last edited by addeps3 (2019-02-04 17:53:35)

#2 2019-02-04 18:01:30

addeps3

Re: Too un-intuitive panel-settings

Ifeel like I need to develop my criticism some more. Dont forget that I stated above that this is contructive criticism, and if you cant remember that, I cant help you.

Basically, its more learning then I want to do, to first learn that Window buttons is to be treated as a individual object on the panel, this is how xfce is coded, but I dont agree that a user must involve themselves with source code in order to just be a user;

second, after learning that Window buttons is a individual object, I now must learn (which I kind of new before) that I must edit that object.

I just find the whole Linux thing draining and fixing this problem was more tiring then I needed it to be.

I think this thread has changed subject, mods may feel free to put it in General, perhaps, Im not sure where it belongs, but I do think that my experience is value, so please dont trash it.

Last edited by addeps3 (2019-02-04 18:03:06)

#3 2019-02-04 19:36:06

Skaperen

i bet that your past experience with computers is quite different than most of the developers of graphical systems.  you are thinking of concept relations more like a systems person, like me (years of mainframe OS programming in low level assembler language).  either you need to establish more influence on how things are designed (or go back in time and beat everyone else to the design done your way), or just realize that the world is something you choose to be a part of, or not.  drawing images with computer code i've been good with for a long time.  but the graphical work environments have confused me for years.  at least Xfce was simple enough that with some help from here, i was able to get my head around.  on thing i learned is that many of the graphical environments try to build to a standard (see freedesktop.org) so that many things interoperate and programs developed under one just work even on others.  even so, not every aspect is standardized and this can end up with a crazy mix.  i remember the first time i thought i switched to a new desktop environment after trying another.  i ended up with things like management programs from both on the same menus and both twisting their own settings without majorly affecting the other.  i had to wipe the system and re-install just one.  i did just switch from Unity to Xfce, but i still need to do the re-install thing.  my advice to you is to treat this all as a big learning experience.  think of this as a whole new culture and language.  learn it  ... or don't.

#4 2019-02-04 19:42:56

ToZ
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forums,

addeps3 wrote:

where to have xfce panel not to group items together.

Can you explain in more detail (maybe with screenshots) what you mean by this?

My question: wouldn't it be easier to make those settings more easily available for the somewhat rare occurence of setting up ones xfce to your liking?

Is right-clicking on the panel, selecting Panel > Panel Preferences not easily available? How do you envision that this can be made more easily available?
Note: You can also get to it from the Settings Manager.

From a UI perspective, right-clicking an object to get to it's preferences screen is pretty common.

but I dont agree that a user must involve themselves with source code in order to just be a user;

There is no reason to have to go to the source code.

In my signature are some resources/documentation on Xfce. It is by no means complete, but I'm curious about your challenges in using the DE.

Edit: Here is the link to the wiki.

Last edited by ToZ (2019-02-04 19:43:53)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-02-04 23:51:28

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums,

addeps3 wrote:

where to have xfce panel not to group items together.

Can you explain in more detail (maybe with screenshots) what you mean by this?

From this (post #1), I assume he's not meaning the panel (regardless of his other words to the contrary), but instead just the Window Buttons applet:

addeps3 wrote:

Finally I have a look at "Window Buttons" and am able to configure my xfce finally there, ta-da!

He also mentioned "intuitive" (and the opposite of same). Since he did, I'll go ahead and state my opinion: My guess is that there would be a lot less posts about how to access the Window Buttons applet's settings if the developer would add a properties/settings item to its right-click menu. Seems like that's where people intuitively look when wishing to change a thing's configuration.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2019-02-05 02:47:00

Skaperen

btw, i've been learning a lot about Xfce and GUI in general over the past several weeks.  i have not needed to consult any source code, yet.  the last time i looked at Linux kernel source code was in 2013.  but i've been using it daily since then.  now days the only reason i look at source code is for ideas in programming.

#7 2019-02-05 20:01:12

alcornoqui

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I'll go ahead and state my opinion: My guess is that there would be a lot less posts about how to access the Window Buttons applet's settings if the developer would add a properties/settings item to its right-click menu. Seems like that's where people intuitively look when wishing to change a thing's configuration.

+1, I fully agree.

But every desktop has its unintuitive things, and all things considered, Xfce is one of the less surprising I've used, while flexible enough to shape to my liking, so I'd call this a very minor problem overall.

Board footer