Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-05 19:18:03

Skaperen

a feature i would like to have

there is a feature i would like to have in Xfce.  a means to launch an app into a different specific workspace would be useful.  X already has a way to address a desktop or screen or display with the 2nd number in the display reference.  it is the number after the dot.  maybe this requires patching X itself to accomplish.

#2 2019-02-05 19:49:58

alcornoqui

Re: a feature i would like to have

I think you might like gdevilspie/devilspie:

gdevilspie is a neat little GTK+ app that serves as a frontend (GUI) for devilspie2 that makes all sorts of detailed manipulations on windows very easy. In general, it is used by creating a new rule, describing what you want to manipulate and how it should act.

edit: grammar

Last edited by alcornoqui (2019-02-05 19:51:15)

#3 2019-02-06 00:40:14

Skaperen

the video at "see it in action" on the linked page had a nice desktop setup.  and gdevilspie sure looks interesting.  i'll need to find out how i can set something that i can vary among multiple xfce3-terminals for gdevilspie to recognize.  on a few of the users i automatically login to, i'd like to start n (varies by user) terminals and have them start on other workspaces (different for each terminal).

seeing how nice that desktop was, i'd like to:

1.  see a list of different ideas to add to a desktop that people have here, including the feature of shrinking all workspaces and showing them all at once (will it work with more than 4, such as 9?

2.  how to record a video of my screen like was done for that one.  i wonder if that would work across user switching.

also, do i need to install both devilspie and devilspie2 together?

will the devilspie in the 16.04 repository do the job?

#4 2019-02-06 00:50:04

Skaperen

a list of files in those 3 packages is here

#5 2019-02-06 11:56:12

alcornoqui

Skaperen wrote:

do i need to install both devilspie and devilspie2 together?

will the devilspie in the 16.04 repository do the job?

In my distro, gdevilspie has devilspie as a dependency (although devilspie2 is in the main repositories too). I don't think you have to install both of the CLI programs.

Skaperen wrote:

how to record a video of my screen like was done for that one.  i wonder if that would work across user switching.

I didn't recognize the screen recording software, but for what it's worth, here's a recent overview of different options. I've used VokoScreen and SimpleScreenRecorder.

I think recording across user switching should be tricky, would like to know if you find out it's doable!

#6 2019-02-06 18:20:34

Skaperen

i would think that recording across user switching would be harder since each is a separate X server, though not impossible.  issues would include permission (the user doing the recording vs the user being recorded) and so few people doing multi-user and needing this.

#7 2019-02-06 18:24:41

Skaperen

VokoScreen is in the 16.04 rep (SimpleScreenRecorder is not) so that will be the one i will try.

Board footer