Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-08 14:53:29

coffee_cherry

Get network and bluetooth icons to appear in Status Notifier Plugin

Hello! I'm trying to get a uniformed look to my panel, and want my nm-applet and blueman-applet to appear in the Status Notifier Plugin, but for some reason they are only showing in Xfce's Notification area systray thing-y. No items are appearing in the status notifier's "known items" box. Can anyone tell me why that is?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you

Last edited by coffee_cherry (2019-03-08 14:56:01)

#2 2019-03-08 21:11:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Get network and bluetooth icons to appear in Status Notifier Plugin

Hello and welcome.

The default for nm-applet (the network manager applet) is to start in the systray (Notification Area). nm-applet, if compiled with indicator support, will offer a "--indicator" parameter that can be used to start it in an indicator plugin like status-notifier. This will depend on your distro. Arch, for example, does not compile it with indicator support in their repositories and you need to install network-manager-applet-indicator form the AUR.

With respect to bluetooth, are you using blueman? I believe it only supports the systray. Check to see if your distro has a bluetooth indicator package that you can install.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-08 21:30:30

coffee_cherry

Ah okay, that's why running nm-applet --indicator gives me an error about indicator support not available. Yes I am using blueman, I thought it had status-notifier support as it appears as one of the items in the status-notifier screenshots on the Xfce Goodies site as "Blueman Applet". Thanks so much for your help anyway!:)

#4 2019-03-08 22:46:29

ToZ
Administrator

I see. Try removing the Notification Area from your panel and logging out and back in again. Does the bluetooth applet appear in the Status Notifier plugin (my laptop doesn't have bluetooth so I can't test it).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-03-08 22:56:14

coffee_cherry

No still doesn't appear unfortunately, and my distro (Fedora) doesn't provide any indicator package for Bluetooth as far as I'm aware.

Board footer