Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-09 13:07:31

hypnotic-pigeon

Xfce Logo Refresh

Hi! As I'm sure you've come across before, there is an alarming amount of people who think Xfce is old fashioned / dead / ugly / looks like it belongs in the 1990s. As such a huge fan of Xfce, it saddens me to see these sorts of comments pop up from time to time. Do you think Xfce would benefit from a little logo TLC? As one of the principles of Xfce is don't just change things for change's sake, here are some reasons why it may be actually quite needed, as well as some down sides:

Ups:

• As mentioned, it would "update" Xfce a little bit, get rid of some of the claims that it's old fashioned

• Xfce's current logo is uppercase, whereas the official name is "Xfce" not "XFCE"

• Xfce's primary goal is simplicity, and the current logo doesn't reflect that with it's gradients, shadows, and asymmetrical typeface (just look at that C!)

• Would unify Xfce's branding a little bit, for instance favicons seem to use a completely different logo than anywhere else, so does Xfce's default application menu icon

Downs:

• Finding the time, people, and motivation to update the logo, I mean, nobody wants to slow down Xfce's development any further

• Nostalgia! Who doesn't love the quirky logo we have at the minute? It's iconic!

I took a quick 5 minutes and created a few very rough ideas of the direction it could go in, again, these are very rough and just from the top of my head.

Xfce logo refresh

Thanks for your time, your hard work, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the idea!

Last edited by hypnotic-pigeon (2019-03-09 15:10:37)

#2 2019-03-09 14:20:05

Jerry3904

Re: Xfce Logo Refresh

I'm not a Xfce dev, but am very interested in your idea.

--Is there a way we (mxlinux.org) could perhaps use a version of the one in the upper right?
--I would like to see that simplified a bit if you have time and interest by changing the mouse head into a line drawing, which also would permit then any color background to be used with it.

Thanks.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2019-03-09 14:42:51

ToZ
Administrator

There has been some talk about changing the default theme that is shipped with Xfce. See: https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-d … hread.html. I would suggest posting your suggestion to the xfce4-dev mailing list and maybe it could be included with the default theme change.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2019-03-09 14:54:04

hypnotic-pigeon

Sure Jerry, do you mean remove the mouse's fill colour so it's just an outline? Sorry if I've misunderstood. I traced over the xubuntu logo and added another pair of whiskers, so I can already change the background colour of any of the elements.

I will do that ToZ, thanks for the links.

Last edited by hypnotic-pigeon (2019-03-09 14:55:31)

#5 2019-03-09 15:09:13

Skaperen

i like the lower left one.  i would suggest that color not be a rigid part of the logo, having a default blue, but allow any part to be in other colors, even a mix of many colors.

my suggestion is to make a mix of logo files and backgrounds and see what the community likes.

and i always like the idea of innovative bacronyms for an existing acronym, so my first:
Xcitement for community eagerness

#6 2019-03-09 16:17:58

Jerry3904

hypnotic-pigeon wrote:

Sure Jerry, do you mean remove the mouse's fill colour so it's just an outline? Sorry if I've misunderstood. I traced over the xubuntu logo and added another pair of whiskers, so I can already change the background colour of any of the elements.

Thanks for answering. I mean:
--delete the blue square entirely
--change the head and whiskers into simple black line drawing. No color at all.
--result would be a partial head with whiskers

Hope I made it clearer, thanks.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#7 2019-03-09 16:20:45

Spass

I like your quick drafts and I think the top right is the best one. The small correction I would suggest is not cutting the second ear, so showing a little bit more head in the frame (minor thing). And maybe very slight rounding on the edges of the square. Bottom left is too similar to Xubuntu logo in my opinion. Bottom right is great for a sticker :)

#8 2019-03-09 18:22:50

hypnotic-pigeon

Spass wrote:

I like your quick drafts and I think the top right is the best one. The small correction I would suggest is not cutting the second ear, so showing a little bit more head in the frame (minor thing). And maybe very slight rounding on the edges of the square. Bottom left is too similar to Xubuntu logo in my opinion. Bottom right is great for a sticker smile

Thanks for your suggestions smile Will have a look at pursuing the logos if the community is interested in the idea of a refresh.

#9 2019-03-11 18:00:25

hypnotic-pigeon

Took 20 mins just to develop some ideas further, not messed around with the choice of typeface yet. Plenty of interest from users but until it gets some response from the devs I think I'll just leave it there. Can get picked up again in the future.

Xfce logo development

#10 2020-04-28 12:35:45

JRD

Great!!

Board footer