Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-14 19:48:22

rattlehead

Offset between mouse pointer and text cursor

Hi everyone, I recently installed Debian 9 stretch along with xfce 4.12. I set the Adwaita-Dark theme and today I noticed some troubles with text cursor positioning in fields (e.g. the location bar in thunar). I've tried to switch between different themes and fonts, but the problem was still present in some degree (monospace fonts have shown the best results by now, but they are ugly). So the problem is on the screenshot:
Screenshot-2019-03-14-22-38-03.png
The position of cursor in text field appears to be 1-2 characters to the right from the click point. However, this is not the case in particular programs like IDE, web browser, notepad, etc. It seems to be present only in desktop-"standard" text fields. Can you suggest please any possible solution or maybe some configuration changes which i can make to adjust this offset?

#2 2019-03-14 21:54:52

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Offset between mouse pointer and text cursor

Hello and welcome.

What version of Thunar are you using? Also, what is the name and version of the other programs that are affected and are not affected? In other words, is this a GTK2, GTK3 or other toolkit issue?

Also, can you post the contents of $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css, $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-15 07:27:01

rattlehead

Hello, thanks for the response. Thunar version is 1.6.11, currently noticed this bug in Thunar, DoubleCommander (rename file text field). The programs which seem not to be affected: Chromium browser, Skypeforlinux, Slack, Intellij IDEA, Mozilla Thunderbird and in my guess, probably all the programs which has text fields which are not affected with a system theme (not sure if this is a gtk2 or gtk3 issue, however)
~/.config/gtk-3.0/ directory is empty
~/.gtkrc-2.0 doesn't exist

Last edited by rattlehead (2019-03-15 07:27:24)

#4 2019-03-15 11:42:53

ToZ
Administrator

So it looks like a GTK2 problem. Can you try the Greybird theme (install it if isn't already). It would be interesting to see if it works or not.

What video card to do you have and which driver are you using?

Edit: Can you also post back the results of:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -lv

Last edited by ToZ (2019-03-15 11:48:33)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-03-15 16:36:41

rattlehead

Greybird has much better behavior (however, still, perfect case would be adjusting this value to the state where the cursor position is "rounding", i.e. if I click in the first "half" of a character, the cursor appears to be before it, whereas right now, on Greybird, if the mouse I-pointer "touches" the character, the cursor is always placed after it)
My video card is NVIDIA GTX960, driver version is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-418.43 (downloaded from official site). However, the same happens when booting from Debian Live (without third-party drivers installed).
Results of executing the mentioned command:
https://pastebin.com/tqygGnUk

UPD:
I've tried to upgrade (with all required dependencies) thunar to ver. 1.8.4 and all upgradable 'grep "font"' packages from sid repository:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main non-free contrib
and the problem for thunar seems to be gone (still present for DoubleCommander, though)

UPD2:
Problem remains even in DoubleCommander 0.9 (from the same sid repo) as well as in current 0.7. Sure, only in gtk version.

UPD3:
It seems like Thunar uses gtk3 since version 1.7. Probably, that is why now it's working fine

Last edited by rattlehead (2019-03-16 09:45:20)

#6 2023-10-10 19:11:21

fulalas

I know this is old, but I found the fix for both Adwaita and Adwaita-dark on GTK2:

1. Open: /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/main.rc
2. Find and remove: GtkEntry::inner-border = {7, 7, 4, 5}
3. Do the same if your system also has: /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/main.rc

Now go to the theme selection in Settings and change to any theme and back to Adwaita/Adwaita-dark to see the change. Or reboot. smile

Board footer