Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-18 22:20:36

blueberrybrownie

Thunar Issues

Hi! I have a couple of quirks with Thunar, and I'm just wondering if anybody can help me with them at all. First, when typing to search for a file, occasionally the search will be limited to a single character. For example, I want to find my folder named 'cat', so I type cat and it highlights it, and I can click enter to go into the directory. Sometimes (and as far as I can work out completely randomly), I type cat and no other key is registered past 'c', including the enter key until I restart Thunar. Why is that?

Also, when toggling between showing hidden items and hiding them, the amount of icons per row change. I'll have 6 icons in a row, then I toggle to show hidden files, and presumably because of a file with a long filename, Thunar now only shows 4 icons in a row. I then hide the hidden files again, and I still only have 4 icons per row, until I press F5 to refresh. This is very annoying, is there any way to stop this?

Thanks a lot for your help

#2 2019-05-19 00:00:09

ToZ

Re: Thunar Issues

Which version of thunar are you running?

First, when typing to search for a file, occasionally the search will be limited to a single character. For example, I want to find my folder named 'cat', so I type cat and it highlights it, and I can click enter to go into the directory. Sometimes (and as far as I can work out completely randomly), I type cat and no other key is registered past 'c', including the enter key until I restart Thunar. Why is that?

That is really odd. If you can figure out the conditions under which this happens, it would very helpful in diagnosis and fixing it.

Also, when toggling between showing hidden items and hiding them, the amount of icons per row change. I'll have 6 icons in a row, then I toggle to show hidden files, and presumably because of a file with a long filename, Thunar now only shows 4 icons in a row. I then hide the hidden files again, and I still only have 4 icons per row, until I press F5 to refresh. This is very annoying, is there any way to stop this?

Which view are you using? Icon view?

Also, which appearance theme do you use?

#3 2019-05-21 14:21:36

blueberrybrownie

1.8.6. I realise it's not at all helpful having no way to reproduce it, it seems to happen at random, I open Thunar and about 1/10th of the time it happens. Just wondered if anyone else experienced this issue and maybe shed some light on it.

Yep icon view, my theme is Lumiere and icons are Korla, however it happens on any theme / icon combination.

#4 2019-05-21 15:59:12

blueberrybrownie

I found a way to reproduce it, but it's not how it's originally happening to me. Start typing to get the search box to appear in the bottom right, then right click on that and select "Insert emoji". Nothing happens and the box disappears (at least on my system, Fedora 30), and you're unable to get the search box to reappear by typing. Single left-click on a file icon in the Thunar window and you're now able to type and get the searchbox to appear again - but you're now unable to type more than one character.

Again, this isn't how it's happening to me, it appears to be random on start-up, but you (or at least, I) can reproduce the effect using that method. I've reported this as a bug.

Last edited by blueberrybrownie (2019-05-21 16:25:19)

#5 2019-05-21 22:41:16

ToZ

blueberrybrownie wrote:

I've reported this as a bug.

Thanks. The same happens here when I follow those steps.

#6 2019-05-22 07:15:49

blueberrybrownie

Aha! It was a bug in exo that was the issue. Produced by opening Thunar, alt-tabbing to a different application and then switching back. It seems to be fixed for me in exo 0.12.5. Selecting Insert emoji still produces no emoji dialog and causes Thunar to be unable to be closed until you click on a file icon. Apparently this is caused by exo, I've reported this as a bug too.

Last edited by blueberrybrownie (2019-05-22 13:18:11)

Board footer