Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-12 13:26:02

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

HI

I just upgraded from Xubuntu 16.04.06 to 18.04.03 (xfce 4.12) & I can't seem to get xfce4-genmon-plugin to display the correct font or size. I've been using the plugin to display conky in my panel & with 16.04 it just worked, fonts and all. As of upgrading I cannot seem to get the plugin to display the correct font or size. My system font is set to Ubuntu Light size 10, I also have that set in genmons plugin properties & in my conky config. Not sure if the font is set correctly in my conky config but I have it set like..

use_xft yes
xftfont Ubuntu Light:size=10


Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Offline

#2 2019-08-12 13:33:31

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 5,828

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

Which version of xfce4-genmon-plugin are you using? Quite possibly you went from the GTK2 version of the genmon plugin to a GTK3 version. If so there were significant toolkit changes. A bug was reported against the GTK3 version regarding font sizes that I fixed and released with yesterday's 4.0.2 version.

To work around this, set another font size in the genmon properties - you can use decimal point sizes to get a more accurate fit (e.g. 10.3).

Offline

#3 2019-08-12 14:08:58

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

ToZ wrote:

Which version of xfce4-genmon-plugin are you using? Quite possibly you went from the GTK2 version of the genmon plugin to a GTK3 version. If so there were significant toolkit changes. A bug was reported against the GTK3 version regarding font sizes that I fixed and released with yesterday's 4.0.2 version.

To work around this, set another font size in the genmon properties - you can use decimal point sizes to get a more accurate fit (e.g. 10.3).

Thanks for replying & for the heads up about the bug. I'm using xfce4-genmon-plugin 4.0.1. I've already changed the font size but it doesn't look quite right. Here's a screenshot.. Guess I'll wait for the update to arrive on my system....

Offline

#4 2019-08-12 15:01:11

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 5,828

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

Maybe its just my eyes, but can you identify exactly whats not right in that screenshot?

Offline

#5 2019-08-12 15:10:01

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

ToZ wrote:

Maybe its just my eyes, but can you identify exactly whats not right in that screenshot?

The time & date uses the system font which is "Ubuntu Light size 10".

xfce4-genmon-plugin uses "Ubuntu regular size 12" even though I have Ubuntu Light selected as the font. If you look you'll notice that the font is bolder than the time & date. It is also raised a tad higher than the time & date & is a different colorI had to select a bigger font size to get it to somewhat match with the time & date....

Last edited by furycd001 (2019-08-12 15:18:47)

Offline

#6 2019-08-12 15:46:55

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 5,828

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

Hmm. With 4.0.2, it looks fine. I'll have to have a closer look at xubuntu 18.04.
Which appearance theme are you using?

Can you try the following tweaks to see if the work?

It is also raised a tad higher than the time & date

You can position the text lower using CSS (put the following into ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css):

.genmon_value { margin-top: 2px ; }

...and adjust the "2px" to suit.

& is a different color

Add to the previous snippet to include colour coding (replace the current with this):

.genmon_value {
   margin-top: 2px;
   color: #CACDD4;
}

...adjust the colour to suit.

I had to select a bigger font size to get it to somewhat match with the time & date

Try manually specifying the font-name and size (replacing the previous):

.genmon_value {
   margin-top: 2px;
   color: #CACDD4;
   font-family: "Ubuntu Light";
   font-size: 10px;
}

...Also try with the font-size set to "10pt" to see if there is a difference.

Offline

#7 2019-08-12 16:00:00

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

ToZ wrote:

Hmm. With 4.0.2, it looks fine. I'll have to have a closer look at xubuntu 18.04.
Which appearance theme are you using?

Can you try the following tweaks to see if the work?

It is also raised a tad higher than the time & date

You can position the text lower using CSS (put the following into ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css):

.genmon_value { margin-top: 2px ; }

...and adjust the "2px" to suit.

& is a different color

Add to the previous snippet to include colour coding (replace the current with this):

.genmon_value {
   margin-top: 2px;
   color: #CACDD4;
}

...adjust the colour to suit.

I had to select a bigger font size to get it to somewhat match with the time & date

Try manually specifying the font-name and size (replacing the previous):

.genmon_value {
   margin-top: 2px;
   color: #CACDD4;
   font-family: "Ubuntu Light";
   font-size: 10px;
}

...Also try with the font-size set to "10pt" to see if there is a difference.

I'm currently using Arc-Darker, but it's noticeable with all themes even Adwaita. I was hoping to use Nordic-Polar but this happens to genmon whenever I use that theme. Wow didn't know you could do that.. Thanks.. Going to go add that css right now.

Offline

#8 2019-08-12 16:09:56

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

Ok so I created "~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css", added that css and nothing. Even rebooted. Genmon still looks the same as if it hasn't read the css or something....

Offline

#9 2019-08-12 16:13:51

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 5,828

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

I'm currently using Arc-Darker, but it's noticeable with all themes even Adwaita. I was hoping to use Nordic-Polar but this happens to genmon whenever I use that theme.

In 18.04, xfce4-panel is still GTK2 as well a the clock. The genmon plugin is already migrated to GTK3. When you get to Xfce 4.14 and all components are GTK3, the match will be much better.

Wow didn't know you could do that.. Thanks.. Going to go add that css right now.

I coded in alot of CSS classes to make it easier to mod. Have a read through genmon's CSS Styling guide for a summary of the classes and some examples. In fact, you can use any CSS to modify those elements (including margins).

Going to go add that css right now.

Forgot to mention, for the css to take effect, you can just restart the panel:

xfce4-panel -r

Offline

#10 2019-08-12 16:14:47

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 5,828

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

furycd001 wrote:

Ok so I created "~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css", added that css and nothing. Even rebooted. Genmon still looks the same as if it hasn't read the css or something....

Can you post back the full content of that file?

Also, run "xfce4-panel -r" and post back the last 20 lines or so of ~/.xsession-errors.

Offline

#11 2019-08-12 16:35:04

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

Yea I'd already tried that & decided to just restarted whenever I didn't see any changes. Here's my gtk.css & .xsession-errors....

Offline

#12 2019-08-12 17:58:55

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 5,828

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

Hmmm.

I've installed Xubuntu 18.04.3 into a VM, fully updated with the Arc theme from the repositories. The following worked for me (getting it as close as possible) with Panel Row size set to 24 (if that matters):

.genmon_value {
   color: #bac3cf;
   font-size: 10.25pt;
   font-family: "Ubuntu Light";
   font-weight: 300;
   padding: .5px;
}

qgzBeVfl.png
Note: The first "12 Aug" is the genmon output.

The fact that you don't see any changes at all is worrisome. What does the following return:

ls -l ~/.config 
ls -l ~/.config/gtk-3.0

Is there something unique about your setup? Remote home directory or something?

Offline

#13 2019-08-12 18:09:16

furycd001
Member
From: Northern Ireland
Registered: 2018-08-22
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Font problem with xfce4-genmon-plugin..

ToZ wrote:

Hmmm.

I've installed Xubuntu 18.04.3 into a VM, fully updated with the Arc theme from the repositories. The following worked for me (getting it as close as possible) with Panel Row size set to 24 (if that matters):

.genmon_value {
   color: #bac3cf;
   font-size: 10.25pt;
   font-family: "Ubuntu Light";
   font-weight: 300;
   padding: .5px;
}

http://imgur.com/qgzBeVfl.png
Note: The first "12 Aug" is the genmon output.

The fact that you don't see any changes at all is worrisome. What does the following return:

ls -l ~/.config 
ls -l ~/.config/gtk-3.0

Is there something unique about your setup? Remote home directory or something?

Hmmmm I'm so confused. None of the css I was trying was being recognized. I done a full hard reboot & then it started being recognized all of a sudden. Like wtf lol. Anyway that last piece of css that you shared worked perfectly. Everything matches up now & my ocd can be at rest. Thank you very much for all of the help as per usual ^^*

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB