Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-12 23:28:13

annoyingduck

[Solved] Thumbnail Generation Over 2gb

I'm on Arch and a few months back, Thunar stopped generating thumbnails for my movie files over 2gb.  I was told in the forums to hold out for the 4.14 release, and if I read this correctly, you should be able to choose your thumbnail size:

As always, Thunar - our file manager - received a lot of features and fixes. Among the visible changes are the completely reworked pathbar, support for larger thumbnails as well as support for a "folder.jpg" file....

So is there a way to select the thumbnail file size in 4.14 or am I mis-reading what this new option is?

Last edited by annoyingduck (2019-08-13 01:18:37)

#2 2019-08-12 23:33:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Thumbnail Generation Over 2gb

According to the tumbler documentation, you can create a personalized tumbler.rc file and set maximum file sizes there. If I'm reading that correctly, setting the MaxFileSize to 0 should disable any limitations.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-08-12 23:38:10

annoyingduck

ToZ wrote:

According to the tumbler documentation, you can create a personalized tumbler.rc file and set maximum file sizes there. If I'm reading that correctly, setting the MaxFileSize to 0 should disable any limitations.

Yeah I saw that before and did that on one of my machines, but I guess I'm more curious if it's been baked in somewhere (GUI wise) kinda like Caja or Nemo has a clear option to show thumbnails for file sizes under xGB. From the description above in what's new, that's kinda how I assumed it would be implemented, but there's no option like that in the new Thunar. So what does the description of the new larger thumbnail option in Thunar for 4.14 actually mean? For some reason Tumbler decided to limit it to 2gb a few months ago.

#4 2019-08-12 23:56:39

ToZ
Administrator

annoyingduck wrote:

Yeah I saw that before and did that on one of my machines, but I guess I'm more curious if it's been baked in somewhere (GUI wise) kinda like Caja or Nemo has a clear option to show thumbnails for file sizes under xGB.

Not that I am aware of. The only way to manage tumbler file sizes is through that config file. If you copy the file over and remove the limit, does it dispaly thumbnails for larer than 2GB files?

So what does the description of the new larger thumbnail option in Thunar for 4.14 actually mean?

Thunar now supports thumbnails to a maximum of 256x256. Prior limit was 128x128.

For some reason Tumbler decided to limit it to 2gb a few months ago.

Maybe a bug from this commit? Were larger files being identified as "sparse"?

Anyways, if you follow the instructions from the previous link and set all of the MaxSize settings to 0, it should generate all thumbnails for you. If not, you may have hit a bug. Which version of tumbler are you running?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2019-08-13 00:44:36

annoyingduck

Thanks for the clarification on what the new file size implementation is. Now back to my original issue, and I'm not actually sure if it pertains to the bug you listed.  I have done the tumbler directions by extracting the tumbler.rc, making all the proper edits (infact I changed every file size limit to 0 in that file) and then copied the tumbler.rc to my .config folder. Reboot, and still cannot get any movies over 2 gb to show a thumbnail. If I change the file name, it'll briefly show a thumbnail, then immediately revert back. This is the issue I ran into a few months ago, and did the same thing, but couldn't get it to work. I was then advised to wait for 4.14. Now we're here...

Edit, tumber version is 0.2.7-1

Last edited by annoyingduck (2019-08-13 00:46:11)

#6 2019-08-13 01:10:51

ToZ
Administrator

Can you try the following?

First, kill the tumblerd process if its running:

pkill -9 tumblerd

Then, run it manually in a terminal:

/usr/lib/tumbler-1/tumblerd

...and try the filename change trick again and then post back the output.

I'm running 4.14 on Arch as well and thumbnailing large video files works - assuming that I have created ~/.config/tumbler/tumbler.rc and changed all of the MaxFileSize values to 0.

Maybe you have another conflict happening somewhere.

#7 2019-08-13 01:18:08

annoyingduck

You wanna know what the definition of stupid is....Me! I put the tumbler.rc file right in .config instead of in a tumbler folder in .config.  Works perfect now...! Thanks for the help, and the write out of what you exactly did.

#8 2019-08-13 01:21:33

ToZ
Administrator

No worries. I wish it was easier to debug tumbler.

Board footer