Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-18 18:56:41

mhsabbagh

In building Xfce4-session 4.14

Hello.

I am trying to build xfce4-session 4.14 from source, but I am stuck at this error in make:

make[4]: *** No rule to make target 'xfsm-client-dbus.c', needed by 'xfce4_session-xfsm-client-dbus.o'.  Stop.

Anyone has an idea about it?

#2 2019-08-18 19:16:02

ToZ
Administrator

Re: In building Xfce4-session 4.14

Hello and welcome.

- For which backend are you building this? Linux, BSD, etc.
- Which source are you using? git, tarballs from archive.xfce.org?
- Can you post your complete set of commands (autogen.sh/configure/make) and their outputs?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-08-18 19:48:26

mhsabbagh

Sorry for not providing details:

I am building on Ubuntu 19.04, I downloaded the tarballs from archive.xfce.org (http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.14/fat_tarballs/). I am building a Debian package using debuild, the full build log can be found at: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/mGNf3TrKbx/

#4 2019-08-18 22:55:51

ToZ
Administrator

I'm not that experienced with the deb method of building. However, on inspecting your build log, I see:

dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file configure, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file aclocal.m4, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-client-dbus.h, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-marshal.c, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-marshal.h, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-chooser-icon.h, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-manager-dbus.h, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-manager-dbus.c, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/xfsm-client-dbus.c, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file doc/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file icons/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file icons/128x128/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file icons/48x48-actions/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file icons/scalable/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file icons/48x48/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfce4-session-logout/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file scripts/xinitrc.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file scripts/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file xfsm-shutdown-helper/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file libxfsm/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file settings/Makefile.in, use --include-removal to override

I'm not sure exactly what that means - its like it needs a comma to clarify its meaning. However, the file that it is complaining about is one of the files in that list.

Anyways, in the default Xubuntu builds/buildlog, that message doesn't exist. See https://launchpadlibrarian.net/43696590 … ING.txt.gz.

I wonder if that message means that file is being removed, thus causing the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with debuild to offer any advice.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-08-21 23:27:53

Aravisian

mhsabbagh, it's letting you know that you have some missing dependencies. I'm not sure what they are without looking over your computer... But you can find out in a variety of ways.
The simplest being to use gdebi package installer to install the xcfe-session as it will also tell you of any missing dependencies and either offer them, or allow you to know what to look for if you go to find them and install them on your own.
It can also save you time and headache by letting you know if a dependency is unsatisfiable.

#6 2019-08-23 09:07:46

rjl6789

Hi,

I built xfce4.14 from source (in debian buster) by following The XFCE build guide.  xfce4-session depends on other xfce4 components - were these available / built? perhaps it is missing this?  I've no experience of building a deb package so apologies if this is sucking eggs.  Anyway, the build order as quoted from the build guide is:

Xfce's dependency chain
The Xfce packages need to be built in a specific order. If you don't follow this, compile options might not be available or the configure stage will abort because of missing dependencies.

xfce4-dev-tools (only required if you build from GIT)
libxfce4util
xfconf
libxfce4ui
garcon, exo
thunar
xfce4-panel, xfce4-settings, xfce4-session, xfdesktop, xfwm4, xfce4-appfinder, tumbler…

All other dependencies are listed on this page as well.

Last edited by rjl6789 (2019-08-23 09:08:47)

#7 2019-08-24 00:52:18

Aravisian

rjl6789 wrote:

Hi,

I built xfce4.14 from source (in debian buster) by following The XFCE build guide.  xfce4-session depends on other xfce4 components - were these available / built? perhaps it is missing this?  I've no experience of building a deb package so apologies if this is sucking eggs.  Anyway, the build order as quoted from the build guide is:

Xfce's dependency chain
The Xfce packages need to be built in a specific order. If you don't follow this, compile options might not be available or the configure stage will abort because of missing dependencies.

xfce4-dev-tools (only required if you build from GIT)
libxfce4util
xfconf
libxfce4ui
garcon, exo
thunar
xfce4-panel, xfce4-settings, xfce4-session, xfdesktop, xfwm4, xfce4-appfinder, tumbler…

All other dependencies are listed on this page as well.

According to the XFCE 4.14 build page, it says that it is unavailable for Buster and they predict it won't be anytime soon. Has information changed or do you have other information that is more up to date available?

Unless you are hoping to learn all the in's and out's of manually installing a .deb package, I would suggest you do

sudo apt-get install gdebi

Then download your build  (.deb package listed) and then right click it and Open With : Gdebi
It's a great installer and I often convert tar.gz builds with "alien" and then install those with gdebi , as well.
This will let you know if you have any missing dependencies. If it says the package is already installed, please select "Re-install package."

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-08-24 00:55:45)

#8 2019-08-24 06:54:59

rjl6789

Hi

According to the XFCE 4.14 build page, it says that it is unavailable for Buster and they predict it won't be anytime soon. Has information changed or do you have other information that is more up to date available?

I figured as much, that's why I gave building it from source a shot and as far as I'm aware deb files aren't available i.e. I downloaded the fat tarball, extract the source then run the configure or autogen or cmake.  It installs, runs and plays nice on my system.  However, I'm guessing the Debian teams testing regime is extremely robust, I'm just playing so don't mind a bit of instability if it were to occur.

Anyway, I was just hoping to make the point for the original poster mhsabbagh that xfce4-session had other dependencies that needed to be installed before it could be compiled and pointing out what they might be.

In terms of making a deb file - at this point I hadn't considered it.  Now you've peaked my interest! I'll look into alien (gdebi I already had for installing deb files).

Cheers

Board footer