Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-21 20:11:23

johnywhy

How to Kill xfce and Drop to Terminal Without xfce4-session?

"xfce4-session-logout" works if you're running xfce4-session. It displays a menu with all options: Logout, Restart, Shutdown, etc.
What command is getting executed when you click the "logout" button?

What if you aren't running xfce4-session, you don't want to display a menu, you just want to kill xfce and drop straight to terminal?
(without killing xorg server? with killing xorg server?)

arch xfce x86_64

#2 2019-08-21 21:24:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to Kill xfce and Drop to Terminal Without xfce4-session?

johnywhy wrote:

"xfce4-session-logout" works if you're running xfce4-session. It displays a menu with all options: Logout, Restart, Shutdown, etc.
What command is getting executed when you click the "logout" button?

See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13019. But its still dependent on xfce4-session

What if you aren't running xfce4-session, you don't want to display a menu, you just want to kill xfce and drop straight to terminal?

(without killing xorg server?

What do want to remain running when there is no desktop environment? Recall that xinit needs to start something. If there is nothing to start, it exits because there is nothing to do.

with killing xorg server?)

"man xorg" and search out "dontzap". With it set to false, you can Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill the Xserver. But there is no clean shutdown.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-08-22 00:28:34

johnywhy

Ok thx.

What do want to remain running when there is no desktop environment? Recall that xinit needs to start something. If there is nothing to start, it exits because there is nothing to do.

cuz i thought, when booting, it's possible to start x first, before starting xfce (if not booting directly into the desktop)

Hmm, is this a clue to starting xfce without xfce4-session?
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13276

Last edited by johnywhy (2019-08-22 00:29:51)

arch xfce x86_64

#4 2019-08-22 01:54:03

ToZ
Administrator

johnywhy wrote:

cuz i thought, when booting, it's possible to start x first, before starting xfce (if not booting directly into the desktop)

X (or Xserver in this case) is just a server, it doesn't really do anything obvious (behind the scenes it does alot). You need to tell it to serve something. Consider the following ~/.xinitrc file:

exec xfce4-terminal

When you run "startx", X will start and serve the xfce4-terminal application. You should see a full screen terminal program (no window borders, no session, no xfconf configuration system). Just the terminal program. If you type "exit", then X will have nothing left to serve and it will quit. If however, you run "thunar", a thunar window will open. Close the thunar window and you are back to the terminal. Close the terminal and X quits because it has nothing left to serve.

Hmm, is this a clue to starting xfce without xfce4-session?
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13276

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say in that post.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-08-22 22:19:42

johnywhy

thx for helping me understand the OS.

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say in that post.

I want run xfce desktop without running xfce4-session. Why is that unclear? Is that a nonsensical objective?

thx

Last edited by johnywhy (2019-08-23 12:51:15)

arch xfce x86_64

Board footer