Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-21 14:32:37

nick87720z

More compact design: settings manager, xfwm tweaks compositor tab

I just looked first roadmap for 4.16 at link, found in last 4.14 announcement.
It seems, that options at wm tweaks / Compositor tabs could be more compact. Shadow checkboxes and transparency control descriptive labels have some redundant text. With transparency sliders interleaved with their descriptions it looks a bit hard for eyes.

Also added additional spacing between topmost checkbox and indented block below, since they are at different level. Could be same for shadows/transparency control blocks, but I'm not sure - need more opinion (since there are already enough changes).

There is my attempt to make it compact, made in glade (see screenshot below).
HRmpvA6.png

#2 2019-08-21 14:55:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: More compact design: settings manager, xfwm tweaks compositor tab

Interesting mockup. I like how you grouped the "Show shadows" and "Opacity" options - much more efficient.

I would also like to see a drop down beside "Enable display compositing" that appears when compositing is enabled and offers us the option to choose between the 3 available methods: off | glx | xpresent.

It would make sense for you to create an enhancement request at the bug tracker against the xfwm4 tweaks package for these changes. I can comment about the drop down.
Thanks!

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-08-21 22:09:45

nick87720z

Did you mean vblank-mode selector under "Enable display compositing"?
I only found it in context of xfconf, than found in xfce4-settings-editor (set to auto).
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247308

Btw, since there are only 3 choices - button row also might be good. I added same option two times in different styles, yet added more upper space for two option groups.
[url=https://imgur.com/wfC94PF.png]
  wfC94PF.png
[/url]
I did not use GtkButtonBox, because it makes buttons slightly bolder, not just forces homogenity.

Btw, image url bbcode block above is copied from screenshooter. By some reason image inside url block causes url block to be not interpreted.

Update:
So which vblank-mode option layout you think better? Button box style of course needs more coding, but I expect it be easier to use, at least with this max choices number.
Mostly inspired by elementary gui style.

Update: separate screenshots with different vblank mode option variant shown.
RPzKGms.pngQ3UW340.png

Last edited by nick87720z (2019-08-21 22:40:34)

#4 2019-08-21 22:13:40

ToZ
Administrator

I think we can combine the two vertical blank settings. Basically the first Vertical Blank dropdown can contain the 3 options and the next Vertical Blank option is not necessary.

Vertical Blank is only valid if compositing is enabled, so it's visibility can be optional depending on the state of the compositing checkbox.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2019-08-21 22:47:32

nick87720z

But entire entire options group below "Enable compositing checkbox" is just made inactive, and vblank mode option is in this group.
Note, I only showing previews from glade, it is not actual code smile

Last edited by nick87720z (2019-08-21 22:48:12)

#6 2019-08-21 22:56:18

ToZ
Administrator

Ok. Looks good. Are you goin to create a bug/enhancement request?

#7 2019-08-21 23:12:10

nick87720z

Here: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15863
I will probably leave combobox variant.

I also changed indentation for transparency block from blank label to just per-label indentation (not sure is it good to add nested box just for indentation).
KfM3cpD.png

#8 2019-08-23 09:34:30

nick87720z

Just found good use for button box. Although this layout has disadvantage of limited capacity if more shadow types are wanted to be added.
mgDTMYO.png

Yet I though about "Other" variant, which would reveal text field below to enter expressions like in compiz config, e.g.:
"type=Window | type=Menu | type=Tooltip"
"Any & !type=Dock &!state=Sticky"

But unsure, since it seems to be xprop-specific.

Edit: What if name shadows group just "Shadows", without "under ..." ?

Last edited by nick87720z (2019-08-23 09:37:56)

#9 2019-08-23 11:56:58

nick87720z

While preparing my form to integrate into xfwm's tweaks form and rearranging Alt keys for new text, I found some keys are already overlapping with those from main tabs.

Yet, is scroll window necessary here? I assumed it used due to bold layout, droped it.

Screenshot
szMGZZY.png

Board footer