Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-28 06:03:12

johnywhy

[Solved] Incompatible Volume Controls?

i tried installing each of these. But when i tried to add them to a panel, none were available.
Is there a trick to make them appear?
Do i need some other xfce host plugin, which will enable these to appear on the panel?
Do i need to reboot after install?
Or, are they simply incompatible with xfce?

alsamixer.app
gvolwheel
retrovol
perl-audio-mixer
volnoti-brightness-git
volume-app
volumeicon-git
volumeicon-gtk2
volumeicon-toggle

all can be found here
https://aur.archlinux.org/

thx!

Last edited by johnywhy (2019-08-29 06:31:18)

arch xfce x86_64

#2 2019-08-28 07:36:49

Aravisian

Re: [Solved] Incompatible Volume Controls?

johnywhy wrote:

i tried installing each of these. But when i tried to add them to a panel, none were available.
Is there a trick to make them appear?
Do i need some other xfce host plugin, which will enable these to appear on the panel?
Do i need to reboot after install?
Or, are they simply incompatible with xfce?

alsamixer.app
gvolwheel
retrovol
perl-audio-mixer
volnoti-brightness-git
volume-app
volumeicon-git
volumeicon-gtk2
volumeicon-toggle

all can be found here
https://aur.archlinux.org/

thx!

If all you are wanting is to make it work, you can create a launcher, assign the command and icon and you are all set. That is how I arranged my pulseaudio.
Originally, I looked for plugins but plugins can do some odd things (as well as interfered with the background image I use on the panel),

#3 2019-08-28 08:21:39

johnywhy

Solution:

I realized they won't show up in the list if you go to panel -> add items. The ones that work at all on my arch-xfce have to be started from a command line. Then they magically appear in notification area.

All the ones starting with volumeicon give a volume slider in notification area, they eat about 18MB RAM.

Of those, -toggle seems to have the smallest download and briefest installation.

Installing with pakku on Linux.

The other ones seem to do nothing when executed on command line.

Aravisian wrote:

you can create a launcher, assign the command and icon and you are all set. That is how I arranged my pulseaudio. Originally, I looked for plugins but plugins can do some odd things (as well as interfered with the background image I use on the panel),

What volume control are you launching with a launcher?

Last edited by johnywhy (2019-08-29 06:33:25)

arch xfce x86_64

#4 2019-08-28 09:33:53

Aravisian

johnywhy wrote:

Turns out some of them seem to do nothing when executed on command line.

All the ones starting with volumeicon do give a volume slider in notification area, they eat about 18MB RAM. Not too shabby!

Of those, -toggle seems to have the smallest download and briefest installation.

Installing with pakku on Linux.

I like a volume slider in the tray.

What volume control are you launching with a launcher?

I am using Pulseaudio - not out of any preference, just because it is what came with my distro.
Initially, I downloaded the plugin for panel, but I didn't like how it behaved. So I created the launcher, added the command and it's worked perfectly ever since.

#5 2019-08-29 06:22:34

johnywhy

Low RAM Solution:

in my effort to reduce RAM footprint, i'm trying to eliminate services and daemons.

i believe pulse (or the pulse volume control) runs a daemon all the time. Even the volumeicon- widgets above do. The 18MB i mentioned grows over time. Some of them grow into the 30's. Plus they pull in loads of deps when you install them. To me that's crazy. It's just a volume control.

so i wrote my own volume control. Instead of 20 or 30MB, it consumes exactly 0MB RAM when you're not using it. When you click the icon in the tray, the slider appears.

FxPG5jW.png

Alsa handles all my audio needs just fine, so i was able to uninstall pulse. This script does require yad, but yad doesn't run any daemons.

Put it in /usr/local/bin/set-volume.sh, make it executable, then make a launcher pointing to it.

#!/bin/sh
VolCur=`amixer -M get Master | sed -nr 's/.*\[([0-9]+)%.*/\1/p'`
yad --close-on-unfocus --scale --min-value 0 --max-value 100 --value $VolCur --print-partial --undecorated --width 300 --fixed --sticky --mouse --on-top --escape-ok --no-buttons --hide-value --timeout=4 --image=audio-volume-high --skip-taskbar --theme=Adwaita | while read VolNew 
	do amixer -M -q set Master ${VolNew}%
	done

Last edited by johnywhy (2019-08-29 07:15:42)

arch xfce x86_64

Board footer