Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-11 04:18:07

Skaperen

new user: i want to copy all the xfce user settings

i created a new user.  i want this new user to have all the same settings as my other users, or at least of a specific user (there are a few subtle variations).  i don't want to be spending all that time using the interactive tools to set up a new user.

at least i copied the keyboard shortcuts.  it was a big xml file.  next, i need to do everything else.

what is the decision basis for the configuration/setting file type?  the preference of that developer?

#2 2019-09-11 06:48:04

alcornoqui

Re: new user: i want to copy all the xfce user settings

You could use the skeleton directory: https://askubuntu.com/questions/83532/h … -with-skel

I think this post is still the best description of the Xfce settings backup procedure, alas, still manual.

#3 2019-09-11 20:52:21

Skaperen

Re: new user: i want to copy all the xfce user settings

i am gradually learning the pieces of Xfce.  i have already made changes to many of these files by editing them, generally while the user is logged out.  i like to have the many userids i work with not only function the same but also do so with identical config/settings files.  my big .bashrc file is all over the place.  the exceptions some userids need are in auxiliary files like .bashrc[0-9] that .bashrc sources, if there.

Board footer