Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-07 06:15:00

AnonymousUser

XFCE 4.12.5 (Debian Buster) is blurry compared to 4.12.3 (in Stretch)?

Hi,

Love XFCE, I use it in Debian 10.

I've upgraded a Debian VM from Stretch to Buster. As a result of Debian version difference, XFCE changed from 4.12.3 to 4.12.5.

The new Buster is blurry compared to the nice, normal, crisp XFCE in my earlier VM.

Screenshots:

XFCE 4.12.3 in Stretch (BEFORE):

iYFqRze.png

XFCE 4.12.5 in Buster (AFTER):

DD6dsIw.png

Any idea what could be causing this, and how to solve?

#2 2019-10-07 18:23:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE 4.12.5 (Debian Buster) is blurry compared to 4.12.3 (in Stretch)?

Hello and welcome.

In the first screenshot, you have Hinting set to "Full", while in the second screenshot, it is set to "None". That would be my first guess.

It's also possible that the font rendering programs have changed versions between distro versions (for example: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=866685).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-10-08 03:01:58

AnonymousUser

ToZ wrote:

In the first screenshot, you have Hinting set to "Full", while in the second screenshot, it is set to "None". That would be my first guess.

Ah, I was blind. That definitely improved it by a good 50%!

It's also possible that the font rendering programs have changed versions between distro versions (for example: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=866685).

Something like that must be why it's still only 50% improved and not a full match with earlier XFCE. A shame.

Anyway, I really appreciate that! Thank you ToZ.

Here's new screenshot to show XFCE 4.12.5 after hinting set to full (view the raw image URLs to see proper comparison):

UpXOlVM.png

Thanks for the help. smile

To fix this properly, we have XFCE 4.14 to look forward to, and I hope it's ported into Debian stable sooner (within 12 months) rather than later (2 more years of waiting).

#4 2019-10-11 00:31:57

somethingwittyhere

AnonymousUser wrote:

To fix this properly, we have XFCE 4.14 to look forward to, and I hope it's ported into Debian stable sooner (within 12 months) rather than later (2 more years of waiting).

You'll have to wait for Debian 11, since xfce is not usually backported by Debian.

Or you could use my repo today: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show … :xfce-4.14

You'll have to use a theme that looks good in both GTK+2 and 3 with it if you want a consistent look and feel. Arc is one of the most widely used.

#5 2019-10-11 08:23:11

AnonymousUser

somethingwittyhere wrote:
AnonymousUser wrote:

You'll have to wait for Debian 11, since xfce is not usually backported by Debian.

Or you could use my repo today: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show … :xfce-4.14

You'll have to use a theme that looks good in both GTK+2 and 3 with it if you want a consistent look and feel. Arc is one of the most widely used.

That's very interesting somethingwittyhere!

Can you give instructions (command/s) for how to add your repo to one's debian 10?

And then, the method by which you recommend to completely upgrade to Xfce 4.14 in the Debian using your repo?

Board footer