Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-27 21:39:21

Mellowbob

Hilight scroll speed

If in an application (say firefox) and I want to high light a chunk of text that drops off the bottom of the page, I put the mouse cursor at the top of the chunk and then move to the screen bottom and wait for the text to scroll up. Under xfce4 this is painfully slow. I tried with Plasma and it's a quite reasonable rate. I've fooled with pointer speed, but that doesn't appear to help. Suggestions?

#2 2019-10-29 18:43:10

Mellowbob

Re: Hilight scroll speed

I see lots of reads on this post, but no suggestions smile I'm assuming that I was unclear about my problem. So, let me try again.

If I am running firefox and I attempt to select text from a site and I need to scroll the screen up while selecting the process is very, very slow. In other managers (Mint, Gnome, Plasma) the scroll is as expected. Driving me nutty ...

#3 2019-10-29 20:48:23

MrEen

Hi Mellowbob.

I'm one of those reads, but I don't know how to fix this for you.

When I try the same thing, the page scrolls REALLY fast. Like 5-10 pages in a second fast. I am using Chrome, but I doubt that makes a difference.

I was interested to see what the outcome of this thread would be, so I'm waiting with you.

In case it helps, my Acceleration is set to 2.0 in Settings > Mouse and Touchpad.  Sensitivity is 4px

#4 2019-10-29 21:52:00

Mellowbob

I tried a different mouse ... main one is a logitech cordless, tried a generic plugin. No difference.

But, one thing I do notice is that if I scroll the screen up it is very fast. Down is very slow.

Tried turning the compositor off. No difference.

I'm running out of things to try smile

#5 2019-10-29 23:00:27

ToZ
Administrator

Is your firefox window fullscreen? And is there nothing (panel) at the bottom of your screen so that the maximized firefox window goes right to the bottom of the screen?

If so, make firefox windowed and leave some space between the bottom and firefox and your screen edge. Does scrolling work faster now?

And finally, are you using the libinput driver:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "Using input driver 'libinput'"

Edit: What is the make/model of your computer?

Last edited by ToZ (2019-10-29 23:02:02)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2019-10-29 23:25:57

Mellowbob

Oh my!

First off, yes, using the libinput driver.

Second, computer home brew with 5 core Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz

Lastly, I normally run my firefox full screen. So, I just tired it ... and it works! It works! It works!

So, is no fullscreen the solution or is it a diagnosis aid?

Thanks so much for the pointers.

#7 2019-10-30 01:15:23

ToZ
Administrator

I think its because scroll speed is determined by how far you go beyond the edge dimension of the window. Since in your case, the edge of the window is the edge of the screen, you have no "space" for the scroll to pick up speed. I'm not sure where the bug is here (I thought maybe it was a libinput issue, but it also happens with the synaptics driver).

To work around it, having space between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the screen is the workaround. You can do this by running the application in a window, or turning on the status bar (if one exists), or put your panel at the bottom of the screen.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#8 2019-10-30 01:46:58

Mellowbob

Okay. Should we mark this solved? It really isn't, I don't think ... I'd call it a bug. At least I can work around when I need to do lots of copy/pasting.

Thanks all!

#9 2019-10-30 13:13:04

ToZ
Administrator

I wouldn't mark it as solved as we don't know where the bug is. At least there is a workaround for now. Lets leave this open in case someone else can figure out where to create the bug report.

I did find this old firefox bug that was apparently/maybe resolved, so the issue has existed for a while. This problem, however, happens with any app that is full screened and no real-estate at the bottom. Maybe its a GTK3 bug?

#10 2019-10-30 16:31:32

Mellowbob

I don't have time just now to look into this ... but does the border (frame) size of the window make a difference?

#11 2019-10-30 23:09:16

ToZ
Administrator

Doesn't seem to have an effect. It looks like the mouse cursor needs to go beyond the geometry of the window.

Board footer