Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-28 14:56:15

Javarod
Website

Altering Thunar's sort order?

Ok, don't think I've asked this here, so here we go. The question I guess boils down to where does Thunar get it's sort rules, is it part of the code, or held somewhere else that's user/admin editable?

The reason is simple, after years of using MacOS, I developed the habit using bullet points and other symbols to force folders to the top of the sort order. Unfortunately, most Linux file managers only sort numbers and letters, any symbols are ignored. While some file managers will do this, they tend to be big, heavy on dependencies or don't play nice on their own (well Ranger will too, but the lack of a sidebar is a problem for me), so this means changing my existing file manager is my best option.

Seph
Taur10 LJ, Tel & Tum TaurTen Twit
Lenovo M700 tiny Manjaro XFCE • Lenovo N22 KiboJoe
I've always been crazy, but its kept me from going insane

#2 2019-11-28 15:25:01

alcornoqui

Re: Altering Thunar's sort order?

There's some info and links in this (unsolved) bug.

#3 2019-11-28 15:28:43

Javarod
Website

alcornoqui wrote:

There's some info and links in this (unsolved) bug.

Thanks, now to see if can understand what it's telling me and how to alter it to my liking.

Seph

#4 2019-12-02 00:50:01

Javarod
Website

Hmmm, not successful on getting this to work, part of the problem is Thunar, which apparently will ignore the changes if the Thunar daemon is running. I did follow the instructions on one thread, but the command they listed to kill the daemon didn't give any feedback (no error, nor any confirmation of what I did). Maybe killall Thunar, do the change, then start Thunar through the terminal (just type Thunar, or does it take more to start)? Or would that be like swatting a fly with a nuke?

On a related noted, I do have an LXQT partition where the sort order accidentally got set the way I wanted it, but I don't have the password to log in any more, so is this info available somewhere in the system?

Seph

#5 2019-12-02 09:29:58

ozjd
Website

Javarod wrote:

On a related noted, I do have an LXQT partition where the sort order accidentally got set the way I wanted it, but I don't have the password to log in any more, so is this info available somewhere in the system?

I'm guessing that the LXQT partition is owned by another user and in that case you can use the passwd command as root (or with sudo etc) to change the password.

#6 2021-03-15 07:03:45

jth
Website

Is there any solution for that now? I tried that LC_COLLATE="C" but got no difference. All XFCE open dialogues sort
f34
f122
f1012

instead of

f1012
f122
f34

Thx for any useful information on that.

Board footer