Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-29 07:57:20

capouch

New install of xfce4: I lose window focus when I scroll in a window

I upgraded my work machine a week or so ago and this issue is about to drive me back to my old environment.  I have both Googled and wildly changed settings without any success.

Both old and new window managers claim to be v4.12 "Distributed by Slackware." 

On my new system, I move into a window just like always and it gains focus.  But, if after generating some output I scroll the window up to read what's there, I've now lost focus in the window and the ONLY way to get it back is to click in it; moving the pointer out and then back in has no effect.  On the old system focus stays right there and if I keep typing I am live and working. 

This is stealing so much of my productivity I have no choice but to try to fix it; I'm ready to be locked up.  I have set and unset every conceivable option without success,.

Thanks for any direction I might be able to find.

#2 2019-11-29 10:18:11

capouch

Re: New install of xfce4: I lose window focus when I scroll in a window

Update: I have been playing with this non-stop since I submitted the post.  I have discovered that the system works properly when first booted.  At some later point--the precise details of which I have yet to discover--the windows are then misbehaving.  I use the Brave browser, and it seems as if that may be the culprit, as it's the only other thing on my desktop besides the Xfce4 terminal window. 

Is the possible that the browser is interacting with the window manager in such a manner that could cause this?  I'm really puzzled.

#3 2019-11-29 12:26:17

ToZ
Administrator

You may not be the only one with this issue: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13486. However, I can't seem to replicate this problem on any number of systems that I've tried with.

What kind of mouse are you using? The regular kind or a track pad.
When scrolling, are you using the scroll wheel or some kind of finger swipe on the trackpad?
(Is it possible there is a button click event happening when you are scrolling? Middle click on title bar will lower window in the stack)

Have a look at the focus settings in these two locations:
- Settings Manager > Window Manager > Focus tab
- Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Focus tab
- Settings Manager > Windows Manager Tweaks > Accessibility tab > Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed.

Does changing any of them make a difference when the problem happens?
(Is it possible that the Brave browser is sending focus events?)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2019-11-29 22:17:17

capouch

I use a Logitech USB bus mouse.  System is Slackware 14.2-current, running as a VM under Virtualbox.  I have used this same setup for many years without problems.

I now can verify that the issue does not occur until some (as yet to be determined) time after the system has been running.  Basically just a set of Xfce4 terminal tabs in a single window, and an instance of the Brave browser.  Once "it" occurs, the stated behavior steals focus from the terminal window if I scroll in it.  Exiting Brave has no effect, but quickly signing out and then back in to the window manager fixes it right back up.

I am very fuzzy on just how it could be happening, and of course it isn't for sure the Brave is causing it; maybe it's just time going by.  But Brave sure looks to be the culprit.  It's 1.1.11 beta of Brave, the latest as of a day or two ago. 

I've done a bunch of things (e.g. form-filling) in Brave to see if I can trigger it, but so far have not found a cause-effect.

#5 2019-11-29 22:43:44

MrEen

Do you have Brave Rewards enabled? That will send a notification-like advertisement after some period of time, and maybe that could be part of the issue?

#6 2019-11-29 22:46:17

capouch

Nope, no rewards activity at all.  Never used it.

Board footer