Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-29 14:59:06

Mark7

How I Do Fully Replace Notification Area with Status Notifier?

That is to say, how do I make applications that get docked to the Notification Area (such as Clipman or Desktop Messenger, get docked to the Status Notifier instead?

#2 2019-11-29 15:58:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How I Do Fully Replace Notification Area with Status Notifier?

The status notifier only supports status notifier items (application indicators). To get specific apps to have their status icons appear there, the app needs to support it. Clipman doesn't and I'm not sure what Desktop Messenger is, but I gather it doesn't either.

You can create an enhancement request at Xfce's bug tracker to have clipman support the application indicator protocol. You might also be able to find alternative clipboard managers that support this protocol by searching your repository. For example, pastie or glippy.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-11-29 20:11:01

Mark7

Thanks.  I think I'll stick with NA until it's deprecated then big_smile

#4 2019-11-30 01:51:59

File Manager

I wonder what kind of work Linux Mint has done and how it fits in with Xfce. Hopefully this can provide notification area icons without rendering issues.

XAppStatusIcon
Work on the XAppStatusIcon API is finished. Applets were added to Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce. LibAppIndicator was patched. We’ll have crisp icons in all environments in 19.3, HiDPI compatible, with support for symbolic icons and without rendering issues.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3811

Board footer